Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Lederhosen Optional, But Appreciated

With a subject line like that, I know you're dying to read this blog post.

I thought I had today's blog post all set until about 15 minutes ago, when I got today's mail and was greeted by one postcard. That's it - one postcard with a scenic picture of fall foliage.

An Oktoberfest Party for Martie

Who the hell is Martie? I wondered.

Come Celebrate Martha's Birthday and Candidacy for District Representative With Beef, Beer and Music

Lederhosen Optional
But Appreciated

Did I mention that this invitation is addressed to The Dean? It follows with the event details - it's an evening affair from 7:30 - 11p.m. at (I kid you not) The Barn. It gives the address of The Barn; it's not all that far from here, and truth be told, there are only a couple barns on that particular road so there's a good chance we could find it - should we be so inclined to don our lederhosen and dole out $50 for the two of us to dine on bratwurst and schnitzel (something tells me me our vegetarian options will be in short supply).

The best part of the invitation (yeah, there's more) is the RSVP. Guests are instructed to RSVP to IWearLederhosen AT emailaddress.com

My first reaction was something along the lines of "you gotta be kidding." On one hand, it's kind of funny. God knows I appreciate a political candidate with a sense of humor. On the other hand, we're still fairly new to this rather rural (to put it mildly) area - as are a lot of our neighbors. A bunch of us are transplants here for a variety of reasons. The neighbors I've met thus far are like us - they come from big cities, so you wonder how this is going to play with a new electorate.

But I gotta hand it to Martie - in some ways, this is pretty smart.

Perhaps most importantly, Martie's accomplished stickiness, the topic of the book I'm reading, Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die, by Chip Heath and Dan Heath. There's a very good chance that I will be checking out Martie's website later tonight. And I can't speak for The Dean, but come November 4, there's a good chance I'm likely to remember the Lederhosen Lady's name when I'm at the polls.

However, something tells me you won't be seeing me or The Dean in lederhosen anytime soon.

Somehow, I think Martie might appreciate our votes more.

2 comments:

Robin said...

You ARE going to attend, right? And take a billion pictures? Pretty please?

Made to Stick is a great book. In particular, the bit about the classroom where the teacher conducted an experiment on bias and prejudice. It was eye-opening, but also felt harsh; a teacher would never get away with something like that today, and yet they had so much testimony from the students involved and how they lives were impacted for the better. Fascinating.

At least, I think that's from Made to Stick. Wow, this will be embarassing if that segment is from a different book I was reading at the same time.

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

Robin, you're absolutely right about that segment from Made to Stick - both the experiment itself being from that particular book AND how incredible the impact that was among the students, even so many years later.