Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mamma Mia ...President McCain! My My!

Who would have guessed that John McCain and I actually share the same musical taste? Certainly not I.

But, as it turns out, John McCain apparently has an appreciation for the musical genius of ABBA. Just like yours truly.

Yes, that ABBA. The "you can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life" ABBA of "Dancing Queen" fame. Which would just so happen to be John McCain's favorite song.

You think I jest, but according to the fine folks at Blender Magazine, it's true. By polling the two candidates prior to their respective conventions about their top 10 favorite songs, they've done all Americans a true service by giving us quite the insight into the presidential hopefuls. Consider their selections:

BARACK OBAMA
1. Ready or Not - Fugees
2. What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
3. I'm On Fire - Bruce Springsteen
4. Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones
5. Sinnerman - Nina Simone
6. Touch the Sky - Kanye West
7. You'd Be So Easy to Love - Frank Sinatra
8. Think - Aretha Franklin
9. City of Blinding Lights - U2
10. Yes We Can - will.i.am


JOHN McCAIN
1. Dancing Queen - ABBA
2. Blue Bayou - Roy Orbison
3. Take a Chance On Me - ABBA
4. If We Make It Through December - Merle Haggard
5. As Time Goes By - Dooley Wilson
6. Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys
7. What A Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
8. I've Got You Under My Skin - Frank Sinatra
9. Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
10. Smoke Gets In Your Eyes - The Platters

Maybe I need to reconsider my vote. I mean, with the selection of "Take A Chance on Me" in the #3 slot, you kind of can't help but wanna vote for a guy who says

If you change your mind, I'm the first in line
Honey I'm still free
Take a chance on me...

Gonna do my very best and it aint no lie
If you put me to the test, if you let me try ...
Take a chance on me ... (that's all I ask of you honey)

1 comment:

gail elle said...

HA!! You already know my ABBA-mania! The "Number Ones" CD has been in my car's player since I saw "Mamma Mia".
I had about 3 other songs in common with both Obama and McCain, and that's about it!
And by the way, I WILL check out the CNN video of the Obama rally, "I Do, I Do, I do" have an open mind!! :)