Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Politics, as Usual

I really didn't intend for this to become a political blog. It won't stay that way, I promise. I don't profess to be an expert in these matters. I'm just a working-outside-the-home suburban mom of two kids who also happens to be a political junkie.

Eventually we'll get back to our regularly scheduled blogged programming, but it won't be tonight. Because if I thought I couldn't sleep before with thoughts of Sarah Palin being next in the line to the Presidency, I sure as hell can't sleep now thanks to that debacle of venom the Republicans just unleashed on us for the past three-plus hours.

I mean, what the hell was that??!!

First you had the Governor of Hawaii dissing the entire state of Delaware, its three electoral votes, and swaggering that 250 Delawares can fit into the state of Alaska. (Thanks, but I'll take the Delaware beaches over a freakin' igloo and a herd of moose any day.)

What a cheap shot. But, we were just getting warmed up for Rudy Giuliani. I won't dignify his remarks by repeating them, but you can read them here on CNN.com. Suffice it to say that Rudy gave one of the most hatriolic speeches I have ever heard. Which is sad, because I really liked Rudy up until about 10 p.m. tonight. Just ugly, pathetic, juvenile and sophomoric. I thought he was better than that.

I'll give Sarah Palin points for her knowledge about the energy issues. However, that doesn't take away from her woeful lack of experience on many, many other critical matters ... not to mention the other baggage and distractions she brought to the convention floor. Moreover, there was no need to patronize Obama and skewer his work as a community organizer. Hello ... last I checked, he was a Senator (hey, just like McCain, imagine that!).

I could go on, but some of us have to get up for work tomorrow morning. I thought McCain looked unsteady on his feet. (Cue up the Talking Heads! "And you may find yourself in a beautiful house [or seven], with a beautiful wife, and you may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?") McCain looked exactly like the septuagenarian he is.

All in all, tonight was not the Republican party's best night. Far from it. As Americans, I'd like to think we're better than this. I'd like to think and hope (oops, sorry, there's that four letter word again!) that politics as usual could have been transcended, but that doesn't seem to be the case as evidenced by this disgusting display in prime time.

Perhaps tonight's RNC can best be summed up by an apropos Rodney Atkins song played between speeches.

If you're going through hell
Keep on going, don't slow down
If you're scared don't show it
You might get out
Before the devil even knows you're there.

No comments: