Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Priceless

I have it on good authority that the economy was on an upswing this Labor Day weekend.

Since I started scrapbooking more than six years ago, I've completed 18 albums. The kids love looking through these and hopefully they'll appreciate them even more as they get older. I've also admittedly gotten a little addicted to this little hobby of mine and have probably spent more than the gross national product of some countries on it.

On Saturday, Betty announced that she would like to make a scrapbook. OK, twist my arm to make a trip to the cute scrapbooking store that recently opened nearby (right next to the grocery store where I shop every week, no less). Upon arriving home, Betty immediately spread out her assortment of papers in every hue of pink. Our dining room table was covered in floral papers, fuschia butterflies, and fancy fairies, along with newly-acquired Dora, Hello Kitty, Ariel and Cinderella stickers.

I got out my own scrapbooking supplies, thinking that I would be lucky enough to have the chance to sort and crop an envelope of photos, much less actually finish a page. We started scrapbooking at 1:30 in the afternoon.

By 8:00 p.m., with a break for dinner, Betty had completed her first album.

Anyone with a young child knows that keeping a child occupied over a long holiday weekend is a daunting task that can try the patience of any parent. But when something holds a kid's attention for nearly 7 hours ....

On Sunday morning, Betty woke me up at 6 a.m.

"Mommy, can we work on our scrapbooks now?"

And the same thing repeated on Monday, which was spent laboring on our scrapbooks the entire day. Betty is almost finished her second album, and I completed 18 pages - more than I did on a weekend-long scrapbooking retreat at a luxurious resort.

Yeah, we probably spent a little more money than we should have this Labor Day weekend at Michaels and the new scrapbooking store. But these hours that Betty and I've spent capturing our family's memories have been priceless.

1 comment:

gail elle said...

My sister in law got me started on scrapbooking several years ago. She is a guru... she has been on TV, owned a store, sold her business and does big "convention-type" events. She's turned her hobby into a great business!
Me...well, I made a scrapbook for Bryce, and am halfway done with Bridget's. Apparently the bug didn't bite me!
But it is great that your kids are seeing you take the time to cherish the memories, and keep the photos safe!!