Thursday, October 23, 2008

I Say Ridiculous, You Say Suspicious ... Let's Call the Whole Thing Off

At lunchtime today, I went over to this thrift shop (not the one run by my employer) to see what they had in the way of clothes for Boo's Halloween costume. I was looking for a corn-kernel yellow sweatsuit and a green jacket - or a green something that could be pretend husks. They didn't have anything suitable in Boo's size, but as my eye wandered to the men's section, I spotted a large yellow man's t-shirt - in the exact color yellow I'd had in mind! Yes!

Then, I spotted a green dress shirt, and inspiration struck. I could outfit him in the yellow shirt, which would be baggy enough, and then put him in the green dress shirt to resemble the husk. I bought both shirts, plus an extra green one in case the first wasn't quite right (or if I decided to cut up the first one as husks). For good measure, I found a pair of khaki pants for Boo (for normal days) and a pair of pants for Betty.

(I digress by saying that I was feeling so proud of myself that I just had to reward myself by meandering over to the phenomenal used book section of this thrift store. A sale was underway and the paperbacks were - get this! - a mere thirty-five freakin' cents!! I now have eight new books in my library, which only cost me $5.55. Had I paid retail, I would have given Barnes & Noble $152.80.)

Back to the costume. So I take the clothes out tonight and Boo's all excited that he has a costume. I started getting him dressed, and out of the blue he totally FREAKS OUT.

"You're making me look like a suspicious boy!" he screamed.

I tried to impress upon him that looking suspicious on Halloween is a good thing. But no. This particular get-up was not what he had in mind, to put it mildly. Nor could he articulate what he wanted.

"I don't look like a corn-on-the-cob!" he fretted, snarling and stomping around the family room. "I hate this costume! It's suspicious!!!!"

We'll give this one more try tomorrow when I will get a fabric pen and make kernels on the shirt, along with a pat of butter.

But I have my suspicions this ain't gonna be good.

2 comments:

DemMom said...

This is really one of the funniest things I've read in a long time!

gail elle said...

Uh oh. The Halloween "wars" have started...
It's 3 days away, what now???