Friday, October 31, 2008

It's a Corn, It's a Cob, It's ...

Superman!

Yes, those of you waiting with bated breath to see how the corn-on-the-cob costume drama turned out can exhale now. Because after months of saying he wanted to be a corn-on-the-cob and nothing else, Boo is celebrating Halloween 2008 as ... Superman.

This about-face is a testimony to the power of grandparents. Never underestimate the influence they have on a child's thinking. Last weekend, the kids enjoyed a sleepover at my in-laws and Mom-Mom's Halloween Party. (Since Mom-Mom can't be in two states simultaneously for Halloween, she hosts a party for the grandkids each year with games, presents, and more treats than anyone can consume in a year.)

During their visit, they went to Target and my mother-in-law asked Boo if he wanted to "just look" at the costumes. He did. She asked him if he wanted to be something else. He did. He wanted to be Superman.

Corn-on-the-cob say what?

The hours that I've invested in creating a corn-on-the-cob costume - those I'll never be able to replace. Truth be told, I was out of ideas and wasn't relishing the idea of drawing kernels on the shirt, to be met with displeasure (at best). No, this Halloween, I am eternally grateful to my mother-in-law for being SuperMom-Mom and saving the day.

1 comment:

gail elle said...

Oh that is so funny. I got on the blog specifically to see how the corn cob turned out! This is the story of my life. I fret and fret over something they say they want, (don't get me started on Christmastime) and then, somehow it all just works out.
I fretted over Bryce wanting to be a "gangsta" on Halloween. I thought, what kind of bad mom am I? But then when you look at my skinny blonde kid, "gangsta" is just a word, and he's just dressing up.