Monday, October 6, 2008

The Personal Touch

A sympathy card arrived in the mail today from the folks at the local veterinary hospital who took care of our cat Pepper. I was - and still am - incredibly touched at this. Wednesday was our first visit to this vet, who took care of her for two or three hours total. Yet they still cared enough to send a card.

I was stunned when I saw the signature. Make that signatures, all 14 of them. Every single person at the veterinary hospital had personally signed the card. (Believe me, I scrutinized the signatures to see if they were fake. Nope.) Yeah, maybe they signed them in batches or whatever, but that doesn't matter to me. It just blew me away.

~~~
Speaking of Pepper, thank you to all who have expressed their sympathies and asked how we're doing (especially Betty and Boo). We're doing better than expected, and the kids are showing the resilience that children somehow seem to possess in much greater quantities than we adults. They'll occasionally ask a question, or come up with a comment such as Boo's statement to The Dean (who is in North Carolina on business this week). When he heard that Daddy was going to NC in an airplane, Boo said, "You're going to be close to Pepper." (Meaning that the altitude of the plane will be closer in proximity to heaven than our street.)

No comments: