Friday, October 17, 2008

Reading Vicariously - But Alas, Not Voraciously

Someday, I want to be able to do the 24-Hour Read-a-thon. (Don't know what this is? Go here.) Starting tomorrow at 5 a.m., more than 100 bloggers (maybe more at this point) will be reading for 24 hours and posting updates to their blogs. To me, this sounds like sheer, unadulterated bliss. Alas, reading for 24 hours nonstop is not a possibility in my world unless I kidnap myself and wake up at my aunt and uncle's beach house.

Betty and I will do our part to participate in the Read-a-thon, which reminds me of a gigantic cyber-SSR session. (Remember SSR from grade school? Sustained Silent Reading? That was my favorite part of the school day.) We'll hit the library. I'll pay this week's overdues. I'll continue reading Mermaids in the Basement, which I am enjoying. (It's reminding me a lot of the movie Steel Magnolias.)

With any luck, the kids will allow me to read for 24 minutes.

2 comments:

Mean Mommy said...

Hi there! Thanks so much for your comment on my Cherished Visitor post- it means so much to me. That was a very cathartic post to write, whether I win a contest or not, and I was glad to be able to share it with other moms.

I'm really enjoying your posts, too- loved the story of your little boy playing "guitar-o man"- that's beautiful! As a side note: I'm from the very small town that ajoins Sarah Palin's home town (we're pretty much all one town-area), so I'm cracking up reading the political stuff. I'm not sure who I'm voting for at this point, though.(I'm being wishy-washy)

Thanks for stopping by- I'm looking forward to reading your blog!

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

Thanks so much, mean mommy! Glad you're enjoying the blog. I can only imagine how interesting life is for you Alaskans these days!