Friday, October 31, 2008

Conversation with Boo

This is how some conversations go when you're hanging out on the autism spectrum:

"Mommy? When I type on the computer? The words pop out of my brain and into the book."

"Yes," I agreed. "I know what you mean."

"What are some words from God?"

"Huh?"

"What are the words from God? Like spirit, church, and heaven - are they words from God?"

"Yeah, I suppose so."

"I saw the church today where we went to Sunday School on February 3." (We did, indeed, visit that particular church that day as part of our "trying out" different congregations in our new town.)

"Oh, right, when we walked past it in the Halloween parade at school."

"Heaven is a word from God."

"Yes, I believe it is."

"Can you go to heaven if you're not dead?"

"Yes, that's possible ... I mean, some people think that's possible."

"Like Mary Todd Lincoln. I saw her go to heaven before she was dead."

"You saw Mary Todd Lincoln go to heaven?"

"Yes."

If this wasn't an example of the types of conversations that we often have with Boo (and it is), I would swear that someone put some funky M&Ms and Reeses Peanut Butter Cups in our trick or treat bags.

1 comment:

Gershwoman said...

He sees dead people!