Thursday, November 27, 2008

All That I'm Allowed

And I've got all that I'm allowed
It'll do for me, I'm thankful now
The walls get higher every day
The barriers get in the way
But I see hope in every cloud
And I'm thankful, thankful
I'm thankful, So thankful
I'm thankful, I've got all that I'm allowed.
~ Elton John, "All That I'm Allowed"

Thanksgiving officially became my favorite holiday seven years ago when, just as most people were sitting down to their dinner, Betty and Boo graced us with their presence by being born.

We're spending a very low-key Thanksgiving here at home, just the four of us. We're watching the Philadelphia and Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parades, awaiting Santa Claus' official arrival to start the holiday season. (For whatever reason, that is an event that always makes me cry. I have absolutely no clue why - maybe because I'm the granddaughter of a mega-shopaholic who lived for Christmas and shopped for it 364 days a year. I'm sure a therapist would have an absolute field day with that.)

Later on, Betty and I will prepare the Tofurkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and veggies. We'll have an already-cut pumpkin pie for dessert - what's left of it. (It was purchased on Tuesday, and several slices have mysteriously disappeared.)

This year more than ever, we as a people need Thanksgiving. It comes at a time when for so many, the walls certainly seem to get higher everyday and barrier after barrier gets in the way. One day isn't going to change that.

For now, for today, I'm thankful that we have all that we're allowed.

No comments: