Saturday, December 6, 2008

Best of the Week

As mentioned in my post "This Thing of Ours," many of us learned of the death of one of our book-blogger friends. Dewey was special; she truly created a community for bloggers who are passionate about books. Florinda has a great recap of many of the blog tributes, including mine, here.

I would bet one of my kids that I know, grew up with, or dated one of MidCentury Modern Mom's relatives The Princelings.

The Dean wrote a blog post this week on the 50th anniversary of a horrible fire in a Chicago elementary school that killed over 90 children. I never heard of this tragedy before reading this. So incredibly sad.

Also sad, but utterly fascinating (to me) is this obituary about a fascinating gentleman known to the world as H.M which was on the front page of Friday's New York Times. After a bicycling accident at 9 years old, he was afflicted with seizures. In 1953, H.M. underwent an experimental procedure; instead, he was left with the inability to form new memories. His brain was only able to remember things for approximately 20 seconds. "For the next 55 years, each time he met a friend, each time he ate a meal, each time he walked in the woods, it was as if for the first time," the article says. Scientists and researchers studied him and a result, H.M. was considered the most important patient in the history of brain science. H.M. died on Tuesday night at the age of 82.

When The Dean and I got married, my grandfather's words of wisdom on our video was, "Remember, marriage is a 50/50 proposition." Whether he meant in terms of division of labor or divorce, I'm not sure. If you want to calculate your risk for divorce, you can do so here at the Freakonomics blog. (19% of people with similar demographics as The Dean and yours truly are already divorced.)

On a happier note, one can never have too many suggestions for gifts. Here are some gift-giving guides that I think are worthy, beginning with Unclutterer's wrap-up. And here are some great suggestions for someone who is a blogger. Most of these are a bit over my head, technically-speaking, but I love the suggestion to give a comment. (I'm just sayin'.)

So much of parenthood is truly flying by the seat of your pants. Especially when you're a special-needs parent. Maternal Instincts: Flying By the Seat of My Pants has a great post in honor of her son's birthday called All I Really Need to Know I Learned from My Son.

Have a great week!

3 comments:

Florinda said...

Nice roundup, and thanks for the link!

I was a little nervous about trying the divorce-risk calculator, but it turns out that the risk is very low - for marriage #2. 38% of couples with the demographics of marriage #1 are already divorced. Hmmm.

Scobberlotcher said...

Great post. I just came back from reading the H.M. obit. Very compelling!

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

You're welcome, Florinda.

Thanks for stopping by, Scobberlotcher ... and coming back. Isn't that a fascinating story about H.M.? I heard about it on the morning radio talk show I listen to each day, and I just found it so interesting.