Saturday, November 29, 2008

Where's Chris-tuh-phur?

Does this happen in other parts of the country too?

In the midst of concocting a crockpot macaroni and cheese dinner early this afternoon, the doorbell rang. The Dean was sorting laundry upstairs (no lie), and I answered it. As I did, a large tractor-trailer blocked my driveway.

"Can I help you?" I asked, thinking of the Chris Rock routine in his latest comedy special where he says he keeps a bag packed by the door for when the real people who own his house come back and reclaim it.

The guy explained that they were "up from North Carolina" and had a truckload of furniture available "for every room in the house" if I wanted to come aboard the truck and have a look. Indeed, there was a truckload of furniture with an open side door in front of my house. I, however, wasn't born yesterday. (It was also a relatively sibling-squabble and tantrum-free day, otherwise I could have been very tempted to hop aboard the rig and let the "furniture dealers" chop me into cushion stuffing.)

"Thanks for letting us know," I said, closing the door.

This has happened once before since we've moved here a year ago. I find it amusing every single time. I half expect to see Christopher Moltisanti or Tony Soprano (God, I miss that show) unloading flat screen TVs or something, like that episode when Christopher & Co. steals the truckload of DVDs. Weird.

1 comment:

I'm just me... said...

OMG, I'm pretty sure the same guys have been to my office. They are always trying to sell us furniture or art for the office. Weird. One of them stole a key to our office once and we had to call the local police and have the locks changed. I'm with you, I'm pretty sure theya re serial killers on the prowl.