Sunday, January 4, 2009

Best of the Holiday Weeks: December 21, 2008 -January 4, 2009

With the craziness of the holidays, I didn't get a chance to finish my Best of the Week post for December 21-27. And so, this edition finds us with another week gone by and another Sunday upon us. If you can stand some remnants of the season, these are especially worthy.

Natasha at Maw Books has an amazing carnival of book reviews posted on her blog, and among them is a submission by yours truly! If you enjoy books and book reviews, don't miss this.

Similarly, many book bloggers have written wonderful posts on their blogs capturing their "year in books." It's impossible to list them all here, but simply go to the Book Blogs I Read on my blogroll and peruse to your heart's content. (Warning: doing so will likely result in the addition of many, many more books to your "want-to-read" list.) I'm so insanely jealous (in a good way) of those who have read 50, 75, 100, and one who read 217 books this year. You've all motivated me to do much better than my pitiful 28, which is actually an all-time record for me. (Hangs head in shame.)

This house in Cherry Hill, NJ is more than an elaborately decorated home this Christmas. As this article says, it's also a $10,000 fundraiser for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Not to mention an example of the true spirit of Christmas.

'Tis My Life has a poem, Autism Night Before Christmas on her blog that is just great - and oh-so-true.

This time of year inevitably conjures up ghosts of Christmases past, present and future ... at least it does for me. One of the best posts I've ever read (not just this week ... one of the best posts ever) can be found here at Niksmom's blog, Maternal Instincts: Flying By the Seat of My Pants.

OK, that catches us up into the New Year. For me, and countless many other people, New Year's Eve is synonymous with Dick Clark. Since suffering a stroke, some seem to feel his appearance on the New Year's special bearing his name has been a travesty. "The Zen of Dick Clark," posted on her wonderful blog, The Alchemy of Loss, is incredibly done (as is Abigail's blog itself). You won't be able to read it without thinking that Dick Clark should remain in his spot atop Times Square for as many rockin' eves as he is blessed to have.

Florinda at The 3Rs has a great round-up this week of links - check it out!

I'm sure I've forgotten someone or something. Hope you enjoy, and that your first weekend of the New Year is off to a great start.

4 comments:

Florinda said...

Thanks for the link to my links :-)! And I'll have to spend some time with your books blogroll - I see quite a few blogs that are listed there that are new to me. Uh-oh...

Have a good week!

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

One can never read too many books or book blogs, you know ... :)

Scobberlotcher said...

Thanks for all the great info. Happy New Year!

Niksmom said...

Aw, thanks for the linky-love and the tremendous compliment!

Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year!