Saturday, December 13, 2008

Best of the Week - Dec 7-13

In the past week alone, two people that I know through my professional life sent me invitations to be their friend on Facebook. These are not co-worker friends; these are people who I have what I consider to be a professional relationship. So, this opinion piece by Michael Smerconish (Head Strong: Facebook epidemic. More than 120 million have joined, many too old for this nonsense. Whatever value it could have is trumped by the etiquette traps it sets)and published in the 12/7/08 Philadelphia Inquirer, resonated with me. For you Philly folks, it might hold special interest. (I adore Michael. One of my former coworkers refers to him as my "radio husband.")

(The Dean's Sister just told me this morning that two of The Dean's cousins are on Facebook. One is 48 and the other is not far behind. My point.)


This piece from the 12/7/08 New York Times is why I haven't joined a real-life book club.

I believe My Friend Amy had the idea first, but this piece by Stephen Dubner supports the idea of buying books for the holidays in this post about A Bookstore Stimulus Package.

Kristina from Autism Vox has this great post called "Enmeshment and the Special Needs Parent" .

As I type, Betty and The Dean's Mom are making chocolate chip cookies. The Dean's Mom's cookies are legendary. (Well, at least in our family.) The Dean's staff has worked really hard this year, so they might get some of these as holiday presents ... if the cookies last long enough, that is. If they disappear this evening, this recipe for Chocolate Dipped Gingerbread and Cinnamon Chip Biscotti looks like a tasty substitute. Or maybe these Chocolate Chip Oreo Cookies. (I am loving the cookie ideas on Picky Palate.)

Speaking of co-workers, you're not alone if you have dysfunctional office-mates. This article proves that even Santa Claus has troubles getting along with his colleagues.

I may have missed a few things since I'm a little behind on my blog-reading from the last couple days, due to being out of the house very early this morning and finally watching the last three episodes of this season's Mad Men last night (Eggheadmom! Now that I've seen the season finale, we must chat. Email me. That goes for anyone else, too, who is into Mad Men.) Loooove that show.

Have a great week!

3 comments:

DemMom said...

I'm the only one left who isn't on Facebook. And now I refuse to do it out of principle! Even J. does it. I actually think the whole thing is creepy!

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

DemMom, it is creepy! Case in point: The Dean's cousins (the ones who are 48years old) have posted old family photos on their Facebook pages. That kind of freaks me out as I don't get the rationale behind that.

I'm not on Facebook either and I don't intend to be.

Beth Kephart said...

I missed the M.S. piece on Facebook, an organization (is it an organization?) that I joined because I somewhat had to and which now baffles me. Thank you for the heads up.

And on another topic, I was stunned that you would have noticed, would have remembered my mother's passing. I am so deeply touched, and I thank you.