Saturday, December 6, 2008

Betty's Thoughts on Christmas

As we left Dollar Deals this afternoon, Betty turned to me and said:

"This is the season where we spread peace and goodwill."

I laughed, then asked her what peace and goodwill meant.

"I don't know. I just read that in a book someplace."

I repeated this exchange at dinner for The Dean's benefit. One of the kids asked what peace meant, and I turned the question around to them. "What do you think it means?"

Betty had an answer this time. "Quiet."

* * *
When Betty and I came home from our errands this afternoon, The Dean had finished putting up the Christmas lights outside, which consists of a strand adorning the doorframe and two lighted reindeer. It's simple, but elegant, and it looks great.

Our neighbors, on the other hand, are well on their way to creating Clark Griswold's home. We have a sneaking suspicion that in a few years we will have a front row seat to one of those homes that transforms into a light-show extravaganza with piped in music every year.

So Betty and I turned into our driveway and she breathed, "Wooooooowwwwwwwww."

And then: "Mommy, our house looks so beautiful."

No comments: