Monday, December 22, 2008

Boo and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

(With apologies to Judith Viorst.)

The wonderful woman who takes care of Betty and Boo before and after school (and on most school vacations) is on a well-deserved vacation herself this week, necessitating some creative scheduling from The Dean and me. I'm on Parent Pick Up duty.

Today I arrived early at the kids' school, stealing 15 blessed minutes in the car to read, earning looks from the other parents who were either a) wondering about my sanity for reading in a freezing car or b) contemplating turning me into the authorities for reading Beyond Time Out: From Chaos to Calm - Five Ways to Happier Children. (I have mixed feelings on this book, as you'll read in a review sometime in the near future.)

Boo comes out first. "Ohhhhh, Mommy!" he says, dramatically. "I just had the worst day of my whole entire life!"

(I'll remind you that he just turned 7 years old.)

"Really?" I say. "Hmm. That sounds serious. What happened?"

He proceeds to tell me that another child wasn't stacking her chair on the table. Apparently, the reason why was that said child had too many things in her hand.

He continued: "So I told her I said I told her to put her stuff down and then she could DO HER JOB and stack the chair."

"And then what happened?" I asked.

"She said, she said, she said, where should I put it? And I said ... on the table!!! But she wasn't listening! If she had put her stuff down then she could have stacked her chair. And I wouldn't have had the worst day of my life!"

There's a life lesson in this somewhere ...

2 comments:

gail elle said...

Ok, is that really a kid's book? Because that brings back memories of reading a similarly named book. Then we had to write our own story except we had to put a positive spin on it, so I wrote a "book" about my perfect day. Which had things like me getting Froot loops for breakfast, which was my favorite.

Funny what causes a 7 year old to have a bad day! You can tell Boo I dropped my keys in Kohls today and ran around in a panic looking for them, asking all the employees. Finally one knew they had been brought to the "mens registers". Um, I guess it would have made too much sense to take them to customer service...

Okee--- sorry once again for the long comment, I don't know when to shut up.

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

Yep, it's Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

Glad you found your keys! And you can talk all you want to, darling. Not a problem.