I haven't participated in any of the many book-blogging activities out there, but in the spirit of remembering Dewey, this week seems like a good one to begin doing so.
This week's Booking Through Thursday meme is:
1. Do you have a favorite author?
2. Have you read everything he or she has written?
3. Did you LIKE everything?
4. How about a least favorite author?
5. An author you wanted to like, but didn’t?
1. It's hard to pick just one, but my favorite authors are Lorrie Moore, Rachel Simon, Ursula Hegi, and Flannery O'Connor.
2. I've read all of Lorrie Moore's books (and highly recommend her short-story collection Birds of America, particularly the story "People Like Us Are the Only People Here").
I've read all of Rachel Simon's work. In my humble opinion, she is one of the best writers of our time. I was first introduced to her through her columns in The Philadelphia Inquirer, which she wrote many years ago, and then I heard her speak at a writer's conference in Philadelphia ...that had to have been around 1991. Then! Several years later, I noticed on the store events at a local Barnes & Noble that Rachel was hosting a series of writing workshops. Author groupie that I am, I immediately signed up. And loved every session.
I haven't read all of Ursula Hegi's books (I first read her when Oprah picked Stones from the River for her Book Club). And I probably missed several Flannery O'Connor stories, which I first read when I was in college and took a class called Faulkner, O'Connor, and Morrison. Great class.
3. I love everything I've read from Lorrie Moore, Rachel Simon, and Flannery O'Connor. With Ursula Hegi, I could not get past page 30 of her novel The Worst Thing I've Done. So, so disappointing to not like something by one of my favorite writers. I actually felt really bad.
4. Least favorite author? Not sure about that one.... but as you can probably tell from the authors listed above, I don't always read the most popular writers.
5. Hmmm ... not sure about this one either. (I am really tired tonight and have probably used up every working brain cell I have ....)
Who are your favorite authors? Feel free to add yours in the comments below or do this meme on your blog.