Thursday, December 18, 2008

New Additions to My Bookshelves

Y'know, it is a mighty dangerous thing when you work for an organization that has a resale shop. Especially one that often has some great books for sale, all in great condition, practically brand new. I had reason to go over to the shop on Monday and while perusing the used books, I found these goodies.

Hold Tight - by Harlan Coben

The Middle Place - by Kelly Corrigan

The Maytrees - by Annie Dillard

Me and Emma - by Elizabeth Flock

The Emporer's Children - by Claire Messud

Collected Stories: Carol Shields

What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America - by Thomas Frank

These would have cost me over $85 on Amazon, but instead I paid $19 at our resale shop. Have you read any of these? Thoughts? Reviews? I am especially looking forward to The Middle Place and am putting this on my list of books that I'd like to read in 2009.

3 comments:

Florinda said...

I have picked up and put down Me and Emma on several different bookstore outings, but haven't bought it yet, and I've heard excellent things about The Middle Place, which I think is due out in paperback very soon, so I'll be looking for it then.

I read The Emperor's Children around this time last year - my review is here if you're interested!

Good book bargain-hunting!

freebird9911 said...

Just read the Maytrees. It was delightful, though just a tad less riveting than the incredible Pilgrim at Tinker Creek. You're going to love it.
OK, I'm full of crap. I haven't read a book cover to cover since my final college class in May 1991. Wait, I mean I haven't read an adult book. Of course I have read plenty from the Magic Treehouse series, Horrible Harry, and Curious George. I'm looking forward to 3rd grade, and I gotta say, I just read the Little Nutbrown Hare book, Guess How Much I Love You. Good stuff.

DemMom said...

The Middle Place has been on our bookclub list for awhile, we just haven't gotten around to it yet. I think she went to U of Richmond.