Monday, December 8, 2008

Not So Sunny in Philadelphia

Could there be anything more depressing than having this as the leading sentence of your obituary? From The Philadelphia Inquirer this morning:

"Martha "Sunny" von Bulow, 76, the heiress who spent the last 28 years of her life in oblivion ..."

I'm certainly no expert on the von Bulow case. But here's what I do know, and what I want my family members to know (if they don't already).

Do not - I repeat - do not allow my obituary to begin with the words "spent the last 28 years of her life in oblivion." Let me be crystal clear on this: if I am in such a state, you have my full and express permission to let me go. And even if you're not sure, you still have my full and express permission to let me go. This may not be what y'all wish to hear or do, but I'm fairly certain there's no good that can come out of my being oblivious for nearly three decades.

3 comments:

DemMom said...

Oh my gosh, was that really the obituary, not the news story? LOL! I'm with you, I always tell J.--PULL THE PLUG!! Then burn me up, none of this expensive casket crap.
And on a side note, when did you start saying "y'all?" How very southern of you!

gail elle said...

Oh, I am sorry, but that is kind of funny. What a poor choice of words!
Especially since there are many of us walking around oblivious on a daily basis.

I heard about this on the news, but didn't hear the "oblivious" tidbit.

I was wondering about the "y'all", too.

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

Hey y'all, ahem ... we DO live south of the Mason-Dixon line, y'know (At least I think we do. If we don't, it sure does feel that way sometimes. :)

Actually, I picked it up from someone I know in connection with my job. (Not you, DemMom.) And living in the south now, well, it just seems to have stuck.