Saturday, January 24, 2009

Best of the Week - Special Inauguration Edition

Well, clearly, the best part of this week was the Inauguration of Barack Obama as our 44th President. I've heard it said that this was an event best told in photos as opposed to words, so that's how we begin this edition of Best of the Week.

Watching the coverage of the Inauguration with my coworkers, we found ourselves saying the same thing: "I wonder what he's thinking?" These behind-the-scenes photos from Time.com give a glimpse into a few unseen moments. It's true ... a picture does say a thousand words. I especially like the one with Obama talking to the server during coffee at the White House. One can only imagine the thoughts of that lucky guy.

A poignant photo of a couple at the grave of Martin Luther King Jr.

ManagerMo has a hilarious post on her blog Asper ... what? where she imagines What the Obamas Must Be Doing at 7:30 a.m. on Inauguration Day at the Obama house. Looking at the girls on the inaugural stage, I wondered if they have mornings akin to those we experience here in the Betty and Boo House. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

From Girl With Pen, this post ("Eleanor, Meet Michelle") has some quotes from Eleanor Roosevelt that could have very well been said this week.

Also in the realm of politics, I've been following this story about Caroline Kennedy withdrawing as a potential candidate (assuming she ever was one) for the New York Senate seat formerly held by Hillary Clinton, and I'm very glad to hear that Kirsten Gillibrand has been named to the post. I hadn't heard of her until a few weeks ago, but as this commentary by Paul Begala infers, I think we'll be seeing more of Kirsten on the national stage. And sooner rather than later. (If you doubt me, talk to The Dean about my track record for political predictions. "That guy is going to be President someday," I stated to The Dean back in 2004, as we watched a young Senator with the funny name of Barack Obama speak at the Democratic National Convention. The Dean wasn't as convinced as I.)

I am convinced (as I told a Facebook distaining colleague this week) that Facebook is here to stay. I find the whole concept fascinating on so many levels. This Time.com article, "Does Facebook Replace Face Time?" poses an interesting question. By constantly updating our Facebook status, how does that replace - or enhance - the facetime we have with those in our lives?

Finally, we've had a cold spell over the past week that really has made me feel as if I've had my fill of winter. I'm not a cold-weather girl. I much prefer the summer, and some of the best summer times that we have as a family are at my aunt and uncle's beach house. This blog has some photos of the snowfall this week on our beach. Love these photos, which really makes me want summer. NOW.

Have a great week!

No comments: