Sunday, January 11, 2009

Best of the Week

Today's a nice, low key day for the kids and me (The Dean has to work). One of those rare days with no place to go and no plans except making something in the crockpot, watching the Eagles hopefully defeat the Giants, and spending some quality time with The 19th Wife. I'm engrossed in this book and need to curtail some of my blog jogging in hopes of getting this back to the library by Wednesday. (I snagged it off the Walk-In Collection shelf, which allows one to have certain books for a week only, albeit with no renewals and fines of $1.00 a day.)

From today's Philadelphia Inquirer, this commentary in the Opinion section provides reasons to read. The quote from the author's 77-year old mother about why she reads is simply poetic and eloquent and oh-so-true.

Speaking of poetry and eloquence, Bono's column in Friday's New York Times pays homage to Frank Sinatra, a master of poetry and eloquence himself. A brilliant piece. Damn, that guy can write.

For the true definition of being young at heart, check out this documentary "Young @ Heart" that my friend Beth Kephart blogged about this week. http://beth-kephart.blogspot.com/2009/01/young-at-heart.html I've Netflixed this and cannot wait to see it. Thanks, Beth, for yet another great recommendation. (For those members of my family who knew my Uncle Doug, doesn't this seem like something he would have been involved in?)

Thanks to the fun that is Facebook, I'm back in touch with one of my oldest friends in the world, Meghan Strange. She was my best friend in kindergarten and some of my favorite memories involve Meghan and Girl Scout Troop 110. Now, she's an actress. The L.A. Times reviewed her latest children's show, "Heidi 4 Paws," in which my childhood friend provides the voice of Heidi. I'm loving reading about her success and wishing more of it for her.

And also from today's Philadelphia Inquirer, I suspect this guy might be on a fast-track to hell. I'm no theological expert, but I think burglarizing a convent of sleeping nuns seals one's fate in that regard. Having worked for a nun, I know firsthand that you don't screw around with them.

In this day and age, there are some Cabinet picks that you just don't want to screw up. However, I agree with Evil B.'s post that Obama's pick of Leon Panetta to head the CIA is ... well, take your pick of adjectives. "Scary" is at the top of my list.

At least the Consumer Products Safety Commission is starting to come to their senses, having ruled that thrift stores are exempt from that cockamamie federal law banning the sale of kids' products with unacceptable levels of lead or phthalates after Feb. 10.

There's other worthy content that I'm unintentionally overlooking, no doubt about it, but The 19th Wife is calling to me ....

3 comments:

Scobberlotcher said...

Very interesting....off to check out some of your linky dinky doos!

Florinda said...

Great links - thanks! I need to check out Bono's column, and I'm sure you're right about the convent burglar. The expression "is nothing sacred?" definitely comes to mind...

literatehousewife said...

Thanks so much for the lead on Bono's article. He does write well, doesn't he? I don't even care for Frank Sinatra, but I couldn't stop reading the article. I'm sure this has nothing to do whatsoever with my 20 year crush on the author... :)