Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Year, New Challenges!

Someone take my laptop away from me, please, before I sign myself up for any more Reading Challenges in 2009. I mean, with only 29 books read in 2008, I seriously have no business joining any of these.

I resisted the idea of Challenges for awhile now, because I don't want to plan what I will read. Nor do I like the idea of deadlines imposed on something that I do for fun. I have enough of those in my professional life.

The first one I signed up for was Dewey's Books Challenge. I didn't know Dewey as well as others did, but her influence on the book blogging community was significant. Since she reviewed many books that are on my TBR list, I thought this would be a good way to remember Dewey and visit more of her blog at the same time. Unfortunately it seems to have been taken down.

The books I plan to read for Dewey's Books Challenge are:

1. The Middle Place
2. The Kite Runner
3. Packaging Girlhood (I actually started this a few years ago, and it was due back to the library before I could finish it. I've been meaning to get back to it and it's more relevant to me now because Betty is in the prime years for being influenced by the proliferation of princesses and whatnot.)

I hadn't finished selecting my picks for numbers 4 and 5 before Dewey's blog disappeared, so I'm at a little bit of a loss from here on out. I'm thinking that maybe I would just keep an eye on what other participants are blogging about in this regard, and I'm sure I will find something of interest.

I'm also doing the Just for the Love of It Challenge. I plan to read these (although not necessarily in this order):

1. House of Dance, by Beth Kephart (I am reading this now.)
2. Undercover, by Beth Kephart
3. A Slant of Sun, by Beth Kephart
4. Matrimony, by Josh Henkin
5. The Sugar Queen, by Sarah Addison Allen

I started The 19th Wife on audio before joining the challenge, and that book is definitely worth a spot on anyone's Just for the Love of It list. It's not easy to reel me into an audio book, but my God, the narrators on this one have done so. I cannot get enough of this story and need to get a print copy of it. Soon.

For now, though, I'm off to continue reading House of Dance. Tonight the weather gods in the region are giving us a wintry mixed bag of crap as weather (although it seemed more like cold, freezing rain last I checked) so I decided it would behoove me to stay overnight at my mom's instead of trekking the 2-hours home after work. It's a mini-vacation of sorts (with some guilt because The Dean is flying solo 70 miles south) with dinners made for me when I walk in the door, catching up with my mom, showing her the latest photos on my laptop, and having the chance to read uninterrupted.

7 comments:

Beth Kephart said...

You know that Kephart—she's, you know, well. Why so many Kephart books?

:)

Beth Kephart said...

That Kephart — I don't know...Are you sure you want to read ALL those Kephart books?

:)

Thanks.

Amy said...

I have two of Beth's books in my TBR pile...I hope to get to at least one of them soon.

Enjoy your reading time!

Florinda said...

Good luck with the challenges!

Your post was the first place I read that Dewey's blog is gone. I knew her husband was trying to decide what to do with it, but hadn't heard that he was taking it down. Most of her big projects are in the hands of other bloggers now, so I guess it was time.

The Middle Place is just out in paperback, and I picked up a copy the other day. I've heard really good things about it.

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

Beth ~ what can I say ... I'm a groupie. :)

Amy (and Beth) ~ I'm really enjoying "House of Dance."

Florinda ~ I was hoping that it was just down because of a server problem, but I don't think that is the case. Chris posted something about it being taken down on the Dewey's Books challenge blog (I think). I'll try and remember to check again tonight to see if maybe it is back up ... hope so.

Vivian said...

You are going to LOVE Beth's books. And The Kite Runner.

Happy Reading!

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

Vivian, thanks for stopping by. I'm sure I will be agreeing very soon.