Sunday, January 25, 2009

Szechuan Stir-Fry

I've been trying very hard to do a better job at meal-planning, and I think I have a concept (not an original one) that might help. I made this stir-fry dish on Saturday evening and we liked it so much (except for Betty, of course) that I think it has earned a place on our regular menu. And then it occurred to me: I could simplify the meal-planning by designating dinners as a certain cuisine. For example: Sunday night could be a soup/crockpot dish; Monday night could be Asian; Tuesday, Italian; Wednesday, Mexican; Thurs, fish, Fri., pizza and Sat., smorgasboard or crockpot.

Here's the ingredients for the Szechuan Stir-Fry that I made last night. This recipe is from the back of the package of the frozen stir-fry vegetable mix.
2 tbsps. soy sauce
1 tbsp. rice vinegar (I didn't have this, so I took my chances and left it out. Didn't miss it.)
1 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 pinch cayenne pepper (to taste) (I did not want to taste even a little bit, so I didn't include this.)
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 frozen package of broccoli-stir fry mix

Make sauce by combining the first six ingredients. Set aside. Heat oil in wok or large skillet on medium-high heat. Lightly brown garlic.


Add frozen broccoli stir fry mix and cook for 7-10 minutes. Add sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes more.

I served this with vegetable egg rolls, which I had gotten at Wal-Mart. They were pretty tasty!




Enjoy!

No comments: