Tuesday, January 20, 2009

To My Children: Remember This

Dear Betty and Boo,

Today, on this special day, I have a wish for both of you.

Remember this.

Since you're only 7, I don't know how much you actually will remember (although my bet is on being allowed to stay up late to watch Miley Cyrus and The Jonas Brothers perform at the Kids Inaugural Ball). Maybe you'll remember coloring a packet about Barack Obama in school, or writing a letter to the President.

If it's not possible for you to remember this day because of being too young, then let me offer another wish to you.

I hope you experience a day in your lifetime like we experienced today ... a feeling of seeing history made before your eyes, of being part of something greater than yourself, of unity, of promise, of hope.

I'll remember dancing around the family room with both of you - yes, to the tunes of Miley Cyrus during the Kids Inaugural - and feeling happy. I'll remember the look that you gave me this morning, Betty, when I explained to you that today was special because it is the first time someone with "brown skin" was the President. You looked at me slightly amazed and perplexed, as someone who thinks nothing of having friends with "brown skin."

I'll remember driving into work, noticing the snow sparkling like diamonds on the trees, giving this day even more of a majestic quality. I'll remember watching my co-workers during the prayers offered during the inaugural and realizing that collectively, we represented a melting pot of religions and how incredible that was. And I'll remember listening to the Goo Goo Dolls (of all bands) on the way home from work and finding symbolism in the words of "Better Days."

And it's someplace simple where we could live
And something only you can give
And that's faith and trust and peace while we're alive
And the one poor child that saved this world
And there's 10 million more who probably could
If we all just stopped and said a prayer for them

So take these words
And sing out loud
'Cause everyone is forgiven now
'Cause tonight's the night the world begins again

I wish everyone was loved tonight
And somehow stop this endless fight
Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days

A chance that maybe we'll find better days.

Yes, we can.

Love, Mommy

3 comments:

Niksmom said...

This is lovely. I'll bet your kids will remember; they always seem to take in so much more than we adults realize.

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

They sure do take it in! Our kids were able to watch some of the inaugural activities in school, then we watched more at home, and talked about it over dinner.

What a wonderful letter to your children!

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

Niksmom and Dawn ~ thanks so much!