Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Wake Up Calls

One of the benefits of being home for two days with a sick child up at all hours of the night (that would be Betty) is that I've gotten the chance to do more reading than usual - blogs, my library books, the magazines around the house. The March 2009 issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray has a page devoted to some newfangled alarm clocks, such as the Flying Alarm Clock by thinkgeek.com. From Thinkgeek's website:

The Flying Alarm Clock wakes you up with a loud shrieking alarm coupled with a little propeller-driven key that leaps off your nightstand. To turn off the horrible racket, you have to get out of bed and retrieve the key. The propeller flies the key high into the air and off into some dusty corner. You have to force your sleep addled brain into wakefulness, move your stiff legs and retrieve the key before the alarm goes off.

And here's a photo of this horrid thing, which I can assure you would not last very long in my house.




Waking up to a flying helicopter might not be everyone's cup of tea, so if you'd prefer something with a bit more of a bang in the morning, perhaps the Banpresto Dangerbomb Alarm Clock might be more to your liking. The DangerBomb Clock from Banpresto is an alarm clock that requires a fast-thinking mind. It has 3 different colors of cords ready for you to choose and disconnect when the alarm clock goes off. The answer is indicated by light of the color. If the wrong cord is disconnected, DangerBomb Clock will continue to make loud explosion noises. A good idea to wake yourself up.

Who the hell thinks of these things???!!

5 comments:

Robin said...

I've also seen ones where the top is a jigsaw puzzle. When the alarm goes off, the puzzles pieces jettison a la Perfection and the alarm continues to wail until you locate and reassemble the puzzle pieces.

I can only assume that the people who buy these things are filled with self-loathing, and feel the need to punish themselves on a daily basis.

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

Robin, oh my word ... that is unreal.

Florinda said...

My first response to these things was "Not a chance," and then I remembered that I live with a teenager. Sometimes they do require blasting out of bed :-).

I used to keep my alarm clock across the room so I'd have to get out of bed to turn it off. I don't think I'd want to chase a flying key, though.

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

Florinda - The Dean would probably say that there are many days when I, also, revert to teenager-mode with my utter inability to get out of bed ...

DemMom said...

I understand the concept, of having to get out of bed to turn the alarm off. But I bet you anything that flying clock would break after about 2 uses. Possibly at its owner's hand, but I bet it's just a piece of junk.