Thursday, March 26, 2009

All You Zombies

"All you zombies show your faces (I know you're out there) ...." The Hooters

Zombies appeared in my life twice this week. Twice!

The first was on Sunday, when I read Beth Kephart's blog (as I do religiously) and found her vlog accepting the Zombie Chicken Award from Presenting Lenore.

Never heard of the Zombie Chicken Award? Really? Well, allow me to enlighten you on the criteria for receiving such. You see, I know about this because Beth Kephart gave a shout-out in her blog vlog and bestowed the Zombie Chicken Award on moi. I am still stunned. (Hence the four days of stunned-ness that explains my not acknowledging it until now.)

The blogger who receives this award believes in the Tao of the zombie chicken - excellence, grace and persistence in all situations, even in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. These amazing bloggers regularly produce content so remarkable that their readers would brave a raving pack of zombie chickens just to be able to read their words. As a recipient of this world-renowned award, you now have the task of passing it on to at least 5 other worthy bloggers. Do not risk the wrath of the zombie chickens by choosing unwisely or not choosing at all...

It is an honor to even be mentioned by Beth as a blogger worth reading. Truly. I don't remember when I first heard of her, but I know it was in connection to her book, A Slant of Sun. Whether I first learned of the book when it was published in 1999 or when Boo was diagnosed with PDD-NOS in 2002, I'm not sure ... but I've followed Beth's work for awhile and then discovered her blog, and discovered her more recent work that I didn't know about, and then had the privilege of meeting her this February. The fact that an author I admire is even reading what I write is simply astounding to me and I am most grateful.

I need to pass this along to at least 5 other worthy bloggers. I've thought about this all week (seriously, I have) and I can't decide. Hence, I propose this: you may have noticed that a few of the blogs I read are listed on my blogroll ... yep, right there on the right side of this post. They're all different, and they're all worthy of a few more readers. So, I award this to all of the bloggers on my blogroll (which includes several who were recipients of the Zombie Chicken Award) with the instructions to my readers to visit one or two or five of them and leave them a comment (a nice one, please). It will make their day and I'm betting it will keep the Zombie Chickens at bay, too.

Oh, and as for the second occurance of zombies this week? This news story, which was all over the Philly media on Monday (mere hours after I was named a recipient of the Zombie Chicken Award!) about the message on this roadside sign on Rt. 212 in Quakertown, Pa.

Some hackers apparently broke the locks, got into the controls, and changed the message. Instructions on how to do this are apparently all over cyberspace. It seems comical at first, until one realizes that the sign had been placed to inform motorists about bridge construction, and that the ease in which such signs can be changed poses a public safety issue.

They'd better be careful, those pranksters. Methinks their post might make them candidates for incurring the wrath of the Zombie Chicken for choosing unwisely.

2 comments:

Priya said...

I love this award. Funny, but an honor to recieve.

Amy said...

Beth is completely awesome, but so are you!! :)