Sunday, April 26, 2009

Best of the Week - April 19-25, 2009

Some of the best posts that I've read this week from various places around the blogosphere. It's arranged in a bit of a hodgepodge fashion, but I've been up for three hours with Boo this morning (and it's only 7:15 a.m.), so that's my excuse.

One reason I love the blogging world so much is having a chance to read young writers like 11-year old Maya Ganesan. I particularly like this poem of hers, What's Mine is Missing.

Another reason I love the blogging world is how complete strangers can bond together, especially when someone is in need like Baby Stellan, whose mom is Mckmama at My Charming Kids. Stellan had a very risky, complicated heart surgery this week and people all over the country wore orange and prayed for him today. I just think that's so cool. I also like Mckmama's post on prayer which offers a lot to ponder, regardless of how religious you are or are not.

Holly Anderson's post ("Ever Evolving: Special Needs Kids and the Impact of Us") on Blissfully Domestic is the second in a series of the impact of special needs on parents. I still need to go back and read Holly's first installment, but I plan to, as it sounds like something I need this week.

Do you need to do a Home Organizing Audit? I sure do. From Zen Habits, here's what an Organizing Audit is and how you can do one in your house.

Along with the Organizing Audit, it's probably also time to revisit the notion of creating a Household Organization Notebook. I did this awhile back and never kept it up; maybe it's time to give it another go. And while we're at it, some organizing and containerizing might be in order.

I need to do all of the above because my kids have Too. Much. Crap. I'm sure we're not alone in this regard. I've been trying to be more conscientious about our gift-giving, which is why I like this Great Gifts for Kids that Don't Involve "Stuff" list from Small Notebook.

Girl With Pen writes an interesting post about how "New Orleans has become a pilgrimage of sorts for the nation’s youth." She continues, “Like Juan Ponce DeLeon’s mythological fountain of youth, the Lower 9th Ward has become upper-middle-class America’s source of feel-good absolution….But the darker side of all of this well-intentioned activism is that it has created a revolving door of services and support in a parish that is in dire need of a strategic plan.”

Earth Day was this week. This guest post by Gemma Bulos on All Things Girl about her humanitarian organization A Single Drop, which provides safe water solutions in Asia and Africa, is very eye-opening. It's unfathomable to think that "[c]urrently, 1.2 billion people do not have access to water and 3-5 million die of water-related disease per year. 2.5 billion people do not have access to proper sanitation facilities and toilets."

Love this photo from Friday morning's Philadelphia Inquirer. I've had the privilege of meeting Clem, who is a wonderful photographer and an all-around gentleman.

Melissa from Melissa's Bookshelf (love the blog title) offers up some Blogger Tips and Widgets. That's where my Recent Comments widget came from. What do you think - like it? Or is it distracting?

Hope you have a great week!

1 comment:

Maya Ganesan said...

You are SO unbelievably nice. THANK YOU!