Sunday, April 5, 2009

Best of the Week, March 22-April 5

You get a double scoop of the best of posts this week. I only had a couple items from last week and for whatever reason, never posted them. They're still worthy, as are some finds from this week.

Here's the latest on the story of Charlie Balasavage (who I wrote about here) and 1,200 other juveniles who had the misfortune to become ensnared in the corrupt courtroom of Luzerne County Court Judge Mark Ciavarella and one other judge. The Pennsylvania Supreme Court gave the judge who is reviewing the 1,200 cases the discretion to overturn them.


I love playing Scramble on Facebook ... and I completely agree with this list about why it's so fun and additive.

Bad spelling is one of my pet peeves, so I particularly enjoyed this article on Read Street (a blog that is part of the Baltimore Sun). Thanks to Dawn at She is Too Fond of Books for sharing the link with us (and for a great post commenting on the Read Street article).

Becca wrote a very thoughtful post about the suicide of Sylvia Plath's son.

April is Autism Awareness Month. Even though Boo is on the milder side of the spectrum, we cannot help but be aware of autism 24/7 in this house. Susan E., from The Family Room explains why this month can be difficult, and Kristina's post, "Where It Begins" should be read by every single person who works in education. (Kristina's post that appears here and links to her 2008 Autism Awareness Month post is also well worth the read. As is her entire blog.)

It's also National Poetry Month, and that I am celebrating. I've been reading more poetry than usual. I have The Best American Poetry 2008 out from the library. If I'm exhausted and only up for reading a few moments, I'll read a couple poems - however, some of these verses are a little over my head. I'm just not getting a lot of them. On the other hand, I've become smitten with the poet Billy Collins thanks to two bloggers who shared some of his work this week. Iliana posted an excerpt from Journal on bookgirl's nightstand and Kim from Sophisticated Dorkiness posted "Marginalia". I'm looking forward to reading more poetry this month (and the next!)

And now that we're into April, how are your New Years Resolutions going? Or shouldn't I ask? I've broken mine (but it only took me until last Friday to do so, so that's not too bad, right?) This post from Zen Habits ("You're Not Perfect, So What? Five Steps to Reclaim Your New Year's Resolution) tells us that it's not too late to start over.

Betty was pretty sick last week, and as such, I took a vacation day to stay home with her. I'm very, very lucky to have a wonderfully understanding, sympathetic, and flexible boss in these sorts of regards. However, I know there are many people who don't have such arrangements at work, and that's why this post from Working Moms Against Guilt about Homewatch Caregivers was so interesting.

According to this article, the powers-that-be at a local Acme store (Philadelphians know this as a supermarket chain) aren't as understanding as my boss. Produce manager Bob Martucci was finishing up some inventory work and needed a pair of reading glasses to do so. He'd forgotten his at home and other pairs in his office weren't the correct strength. Wanting to complete his work in time, Bob took a $9 pair of reading glasses from a rack in the store and cut off the price tag because it was hindering his sight. The glasses never left the store. Bob, however, was told otherwise. Citing employee theft, Acme fired him. He has 30 years with the company with no incidents in his personnel file, and his termination prompted at least one longtime customer to speak up. In what is the worst economic climate of our lifetimes, we need to keep the Bobs of this world working - and to perhaps try to treat people with a little more compassion.

Let's close on a funny note, shall we? Cid's post on "blog like no one is reading" (love that title!) about a conversation with her 11 year old son was one of the funniest things I'd read all week.

What's the best thing you've read this week?

2 comments:

kristenspina said...

Oh, I just adore Billy Collins too!! Amazing poet. (And thank you, my friend, for all the linky love. So nice...)

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

It's well-deserved, Kristen. Well-deserved.