Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Susan Boyle: She Dreamed a Dream In Time Gone By

Without a doubt, the absolute picture of perfection and inspiration can be found here, in this YouTube video of 47-year old Susan Boyle, who appeared on Britain's Got Talent (the UK version of American Idol) on Saturday.

Susan's no idol to behold, looks-wise. Coverage of Susan's appearance has focused on her appearance as being "frumpy" and "spinster-like." And indeed, Susan - who lives alone with her cats - is not what immediately comes to mind when thinking of superstars.

Make no mistake about it: she is. Susan Boyle is the picture-perfect portrait of inspiration for all of us who have ever had a dream of any kind in our life. For those of us who dreamed a dream of the day that we would take to the stage and show them (whomever they may be) what we can do, and triumph. For those of us who needed a reminder to not judge a voice by it's cover - and let's face it, that was most of the audience.

The cynic in me is hoping beyond hope that this is not a hoax. I want to believe that dreams are still possible for those of us who have been laughed at and discounted. And you know, even if it is a hoax, I don't care.

Here's the YouTube link again. I dare you to watch this and not be moved to tears or stirred by emotion of some kind. And really listen to the words.

I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When hope was high and life worth living
I dreamed that love would never die
I dreamed that God would be forgiving.

Then I was young and unafraid
And dreams were made and used and wasted
There was no ransom to be paid
No song unsung, no wine untasted.

But the tigers come at night
With their voices soft as thunder
As they tear your hope apart
As they turn your dream to shame.

And still I dream he'll come to me
That we will live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather

I had a dream my life would be
So different from this hell I'm living
So different now from what it seemed
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed.

4 comments:

Robin said...

Bloody hell, look at that, I'm all teary.

What a beautiful voice and a wonderful story. And I got to hear one of my favorite songs in the middle of the day.

Beth Kephart said...

And now YOU'VE just made me cry.
Lord, please don't let it be a hoax. Please.

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

I don't think it's a hoax!

I was listening to NPR this evening (Sarah Pekkanen did a 3-minute talk on 3 books that have influenced her writing) ... and I heard the story.

I just looked it up on their website:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103143666

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

Robin - I love that song too.

Beth and Dawn - I don't think it is a hoax, thankfully. (We would have heard by now, I'd imagine.) Which makes this even the more incredible and amazing, don't you think? Glad you all saw what I saw in this, too.