Sunday, May 3, 2009

Best of the Week: April 26 - May 2

Parents of kids with special needs belong to a club that nobody wants to be in. But if I must be part of this club, I'm sure glad to know that Jess Wilson is on the welcoming committee.

Here's one reason why I'm glad Betty isn't into Barbies.

It's been said that the Internet is both good and bad. We saw evidence of the dark side this week, when book blogger Gautami Tripathy lost her blog Reading Room to malware. I cannot even imagine how traumatic this is, and one of the few ways that many of us are helping is by spreading the word of Gautami's new blog, Everything Distils Into Reading. I hope you'll check it out and give her some support.

If your kids, like mine, spend a bit of time on the computer, they might enjoy reading these original stories at Free Children Stories. Recognizing that children's books can be nearly $20 each and that not every child has easy access to the library, they created this site. This is also good for kids like mine who tend to breeze through their library books in a nanosecond.

More benefits of berries, cherries and oats.

Brian Williams wrote a commentary about the "plane stupid" flyover that occured in Lower Manhattan this week. He writes: "[E]ven after all these years, among many New Yorkers, 9/11 still feels like it was about 10 minutes ago. The pit is still there, though it's now a construction zone. The losses don't go away. No one is bringing my neighbor back to me. I will drive by his house on my way home from work tonight, and he won't be there. We still look up at the sky (in ways we never did before) when we hear low-flying aircraft, and we still worry. Lower Manhattan is no place for an unnanounced low-altitude jumbo jet-and-fighter-jet flyover. Someone should pay for this." Exactly.

They say you start to look and think alike the longer you've been married. That's transcended into the blogosphere with me and The Dean, coming up on 16 years of wedded bliss next month. In what was a first, The Dean and I blogged about the same topic (the ridiculous aforementioned flyover photo-op) on the same day. His post is here. (My usual disclaimer applies: The Dean's post contains strong language and is intended for mature audiences only.)

One point that I did not know until reading The Dean's post was that this flyover was only the FIRST OF TWO PLANNED FLYOVERS. Yes, there was apparently a second one planned for ... oh, right about now, in Washington D.C. That was reported in one of the seven daily newspapers that The Dean reads online daily. (Not sure if it was the New York Times, Washington Post, or Wall Street Journal.)

As always, I'm sure there's something I've forgotten. I'm trying to make peace with my Google Reader and understanding that I will likely never see a three-digit number in All Items again. It's been 1000+ for awhile now. That's the price I'm prepared to pay, I suppose, for my blog addiction and penchant for subscribing to any blog that interests me. (Pushing 200 blogs, last I checked. Is there a 12-step program for this?)

Have a great week!

1 comment:

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

Barbies ... I think they were more wholesome when I was a kid, or maybe it's simply that I'm more aware of the WRONG message from my "mature" perspective.

Oh, don't let the Google Reader get you down. Think of it as a collection that doesn't take up much space. I'm battling, too ...