Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Search is Over (With Apologies to Survivor)

"At times it's so confusing, these questions of the heart ..."
- "The Search is Over" by Survivor (the 80s band, not the reality show)

So my new favorite hobby(I know, I seriously need a life) is tracking the search terms that landed people here. (Although I started this blog in August, it has only been two months since I've made it public, so I don't have as many crazy search terms as other people do.) What's surprising to me is the number of international visitors. It really does boggle the mind when you think that someone more than halfway around the world is reading my ramblings.

That's just too freakin' cool.

Here are some of the terms that landed folks here.

"Charlie Balasavage" attracted someone from Germany. That was this post about the corrupt judges in Pennsylvania who sentenced Charlie (and others) to time in juvenile hall - and worse - for incredibly minor, petty crimes (if you can even call them crimes).

"The Sugar Queen"attracted someone from Asheville, NC (The "notice me" hand-waving wildly in the air part of me hopes that it was author Sarah Addison Allen reading my review of her book. Hey, a girl can dream, can't she?)

"reading glasses" - someone from Australia. They landed on the Best of the Week post that mentioned Bob from Acme, who took a pair of reading glasses in order to complete his work ... and was promptly fired.

"betty boo blogspot" - from Singapore (yep, that would bring you right here).

"hannah montana movie review" from India brought them to my review of the movie.

"Helen Oyeyemi" - took the searcher to one of my Library Loot posts

"split pea soup" - from South Africa (hope you liked the recipe!)

"Foundation Grants" - from India (good luck, if you have applied for this opportunity!)

By far, the most traffic generation in the last month or so came from my linking to the CNN story about Sandra Cantu, the 8 year old murdered in California by her Sunday School teacher, in this post. Unbeknownst to me, when you link to a CNN story, they include it in the From the Blogs roundup at the end of the story. I've read them before, but never in a million years imagined that the little Betty and Boo Chronicles would land among them - much less, first.

If you found me via that link (or any of the others), I hope you liked some of what you read and that you'll hang around.

3 comments:

Priya said...

How did you track the search terms that led people here?

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

Priya, you can do this through Sitemeter.com, which I have as a widget at the bottom of my blog. It's very easy. Email me at peanutboo2 AT gmail DOT com if you need more specifics, but otherwise just go to sitemeter.com and it should be fairly self-explanatory.

Priya said...

Thanks!