Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Sunday Salon: 5-31-2009

It's been a fun week of all things books, has it not? I've been glued to Google Reader and Twitter watching the updates from BEA, and am contemplating possibly going next year. (This will come as news to my husband The Dean, as he's likely learning of this desire through this post. But the reality is that New York City is a very doable Amtrak ride away, so it's within the realm of possibility.)

Several of us hung out Friday night at the BEAtwittyparty, which was Oh. So. Much. Fun! The Dean, spending Friday night with his own laptop (hey, wireless has been the saving grace of our relationship) was amused at my enthusiasm for this party. I'm quite serious when I say that my excitement level was higher for this than some (dare I say many?) real-life functions.

I met and visited many new-to-me book blogs such as A High and Hidden Place, I'm Booking It, Whimpulsive, Bookfool, Medieval Bookworm, and Cindy's Love of Books. There were more - many more - but with the fast-paced rate of chat (not to mention the awesome giveaways!) it was impossible to chat with everyone. (And after adding all the new blogs to Google Reader and joining Sunday Salon last week, I'm thinking I have little hope of seeing my Reader ever going below 1000+ again.)

Some folks who have been in my Google Reader for awhile now were also part of the fun, including Fizzy Thoughts (who provided tunes extraordinaire), Rhapsody in Books, Nymeth from Things Mean A Lot, Florinda from The 3 R's, Chris from Book-a-Rama, and Devourer of Books. Of course I would be remiss without a shout-out to Rebecca from The Book Lady's Blog for doing a tremendous job of organizing this!

In other reading news, this week I finished listening to Under the Tuscan Sun on audio and posted my review here. I'm still reading The Red Convertible: Selected and New Stories 1978-2008 by Louise Erdrich. I'm really enjoying this collection. Maybe it's because I'm coming off of Brad Gooch's biography about Flannery O'Connor (my review here) but several of Erdrich's stories (particularly "Knives" which I read this morning, along with "Destiny" and "The Little Book") seem to pay homage to FOC. Several (most? all?) of the stories are interconnected and have appeared elsewhere in Erdrich's work.

Betty and I have a Girl Scout event this afternoon, so I hope to get back to more of The Red Convertible later this evening ... not to mention catching up with all my blogging friends in Google Reader.

3 comments:

Meghan said...

I was happy to meet you! The BEA twitty party was crazy, I hope we do it again soon. I'm firmly planning on attending BEA 2010.

Nymeth said...

I'm still sad that I fell asleep earlier than expected and missed so much of the fun :( But I'm glad everyone had such a good time!

As I was just telling another blogger, I definitely need to read some Erdrich.

Florinda said...

"I'm quite serious when I say that my excitement level was higher for this than some (dare I say many?) real-life functions." Same here - and for me, it correlated with a lower social-anxiety level too :-).

I wish I'd been at the party longer, but I'm glad I made it - couldn't keep up, but it was lots of fun! Good to "see" you there, and I'm wondering about BEA next year myself.