Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Sunday Salon: My First Salon Post (5-24-09)

I've been thinking about joining The Sunday Salon for a little while now, but thought I didn't read that much on Sundays to be deemed worthy. But then I thought, maybe I would give it a try and see how it goes. It looks like a few of us are new this week!

This week I finished reading Click: What Millions of People are Doing Online and Why It Matters, which I reviewed here. Unfortunately, this didn't do much for me and I found it a bit dry and technical. Oh well, you win some and lose some, right? I also started - and quickly abandoned - Charming Billy by Alice McDermott and The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst. (The latter was downright creepy. I did not like it in the least.)

Seems like more than a few of us are in a bit of a book slump right now, myself included. After Click, I was undecided about what to read next. It was between The Red Convertible, by Louise Erdrich, The Plague of Doves, also by Louise Erdrich, or The Condition by Jennifer Haigh. All are due back to the library soon. I wound up selecting The Red Convertible, a collection of 36 short stories by Louise Erdrich. Six are new and 30 have been published elsewhere. Since I've never read any of Louise Erdrich's work, all of them are new to me. So far I've read the first two stories ("The Red Convertible" and "Scales") which I liked.

In the car, I've been listening to Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes. This has been on my TBR list for (kid you not) eight years. I'm the only person left who hasn't read this or seen the movie, right? Yep, thought so.

Every night, I read a story to Betty and Boo while they have their snack and then the three of us head upstairs to the guest room where we climb into bed for more reading. It started as something that Betty and I did together, but recently Boo has been joining us. I'm thrilled about that, because he sometimes seems fickle about the notion of reading. This week, Betty finished Kit Story Collection (which is part of the American Girl series) and Rosetta's Daring Day (part of the Disney Faeries series). Boo's been entranced with Why I Sneeze, Shiver, Hiccup and Yawn (a nonfiction children's book about reflexes) as well as Forever Young, a picture book based on the Bob Dylan song of the same name. We're working on a joint review of that one. It's a lovely read.

I hope you're enjoying some lovely reads, too.

2 comments:

Beth Kephart said...

You abandoned Charming Billy!!? (I loved that, but I hated Dogs of Babel.) And Red Convertible DEFINITELY a better choice than Plague of Doves.

Frances Mayes can be a bit of a dose in person ... :)

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

I should have clarified ... Charming Billy was an audio, and I always like to give the printed version a chance before I give up completely. And in this case, the narrator did not help the story. I own the printed version, so maybe I will return to it someday ...