Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. Feel free to join in the fun.

Before I get to my words (all two of them), I'm wondering (ha! get it? wondering? wondrous words?) does it strike anyone else as ironic that I can never remember the name of this weekly post? I always want to call this Words on Wednesday or Wonderful Words or some other version of alliteration than the proper Wondrous Words Wednesday.

It's been a long day. Obviously.

Here are the words I've discovered this week:

calumniation
noun: a false accusation of an offense or a malicious misrepresentation of someone's words or actions [syn: defamation]

Flannery wrote Maryat, "I decided this was an innocent calumniation."

elision
noun: 1. the omission of a vowel, consonant, or syllable in pronunciation.
2. (in verse) the omission of a vowel at the end of one word when the next word begins with a vowel, as th'orient.
3. an act or instance of eliding or omitting anything.

From The Dance Lesson: Beth Kephart Poem, as posted on Beth's wonderful blog (you'll just have to go and read it for yourself).

What words did you learn this week?

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Great words. I might be able to remember elision long enough to use it. Thanks for playing along today.