Friday, August 14, 2009

You Say It's Your Blog Birthday (It's My Blog Birthday Too, Yeah!)

(With apologies to the Fab Four for slightly re-writing their fab song.)

Yes, indeedy, today is the first birthday for The Betty and Boo Chronicles. What a fun ride around the sun this has been! I thought I would like this blogging gig, but honestly ... I had no idea how much I would love this.

I'd been reading blogs for awhile. Around this time last year, I thought, I can do this. Maybe I'll just be talking to myself, the husband, and our mothers. No matter. Like many people, this started as a way to keep far-flung family and friends updated on our exciting lives.

(Here's that very first post, in case you're interested.)

And then shortly after that, something called the 2008 Presidential Election happened, and I found myself living in a shotgun shack, and you may find yourself in another part of the world, and you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile, and you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife, and you may ask yourself, well...how did I get here?
(Sorry, couldn't resist. You know I've got that whole child of the '80s and early '90s vibe going on.)

What was my old talking head saying? Right. I found myself living in the backyard of the Vice President-elect, and then Sarah "You Betcha" Palin and Joe the Plumber came on the scene. Posts begging to be written. Soapboxes waiting to be climbed up on.

In the middle of all this, I stumbled on a book blog, an autism/Aspergers/special needs blog, some mommy blogs, some simplicity and productivity blogs. I became enamored with your blogrolls, clicking on one link, then another, then another ... and I wonder why I have 362 blog subscriptions (and counting!) in my Google Reader.

People who aren't bloggers often express amazement about how I can blog almost every day when I have a 2-hour (each way!) commute to a full-time job (by car, not by train, unfortunately), and kids to raise. It's really simple.

I have to.

Aside from writing being part of my soul and therefore needing to write, I watch very, very, very little TV. Mad Men, Rescue Me, In Treatment. That's it.

I look for - and find - inspiration everywhere.

I don't sleep. (If you check the times of my posts, they're usually between 9-11:30 p.m. I'll usually go to bed close to midnight, then wake up by 6 a.m. for my road warrior existence.)

I think of my blog posts during my commutes, often composing sentences or tossing an angle around in my head while I drive. In addition to being a long commute, it's quite a boring one scenery-wise.

Blogging has brought me back to writing and made me fall in love with writing more than I ever have before. You've saved me from hours of therapy and you've made me a better writer.

Still, after a year of blogging, I have a lot to learn. (For example, I cannot figure out how the hell to upload a video. Like something from YouTube ... I have no idea how to get that to appear on the blog. Or how to do a vlog.) But there are some things I have learned in this past year - like to try and keep my posts on the shorter side of life (like I happen to be). So, I will save that for another post though, maybe tomorrow, as another trip around the sun revs up.

Oh, one more thing.

Thank you. For being here, for reading, for commenting.

For coming along for the ride.

11 comments:

Alipet813 said...

I just started blogging in June and it feeds my soul too. I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog. I love your writing style and just like what you have to say.

Congrats on a year!

Please stop by my blog and see me sometime!

softdrink said...

Happy Blogiversary!

Amy said...

I love to read your blog, and while I'm pretty sure I didn't agree with all of your political posts, we are still friends. woo-hoo! :)

I love blogging too, and also, don't sleep. ;) And I don't have kids!

Cathy said...

Happy Blogiversary!

kristenspina said...

Happy Blog-birthday!! So glad to have found you.

Niksmom said...

Happy Blogiversary! I am so envious of those (like you) who are able to actually recall what they think about and plan to write. I have all these wonderful thoughts but as soon as I thinnk them? POOF! Gone. So frustrating!

Christine said...

Someone should do a survey of how many non-sleeping blogging mamas there are out there. ... quite a few, I'd guess.

Happy blog-o-versary!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Thanks, everyone!

Alipet813, I've definitely been remiss in visiting your blog ... so very sorry about that. (For all: Alipet's blog is great!)

softdrink and Cathy - thanks!

Amy - oh, I most certainly hope you're still my friend, Amy. :)

kristen - right back at you, girlfriend!

Niksmom - I never used to be able to do this, and it comes and goes. I think I am going to start carrying 'round a notebook or something ...

Christine - yes, I'm betting there are more than a few of us!

Florinda said...

Happy first Blogoversary, and best wishes for many more to come! I'm very glad that your blog is around; it's always one of my must-reads.

JoAnn said...

Happy blog-birthday ...and best wishes for many more! I always enjoy my visits here...

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Awww ... Florinda and JoAnn, you've made my day. Thank you so very much!