Friday, June 19, 2009

Bloggiesta Update #1

Hola, amigos/amigas! We're into the 14th hour of Bloggiesta and from what I've been able to tell, there's a whole lot of blog stuff going on.

Here's what I've been up to ...

Spent the morning doing some real, paying-the-bills work from home. (I love my work at home days to no end.) Then I actually spent an hour straightening up the kitchen clutter - we can see the top of the kitchen island again, who would have thunk it?! - in preparation for the in-laws visit. (I should say that I have an incredibly wonderful mother-in-law, and I'm not just saying that because she reads this blog. She would not care if the house was a mess, and it usually is. Her main focus, as a grandmother's focus should be, is on her two grandchildren who she is coming to spend two full days with. I'm very lucky not to have a mother-in-law who will be criticizing my housekeeping habits - or, er ... lack thereof.) But, nonetheless, the kitchen is on its way to looking presentable.

On the blog scene, I've accomplished the following:

- Wrote my review of The Red Convertible, as I'd planned. You can read it here.

- Wrote a review of a children's book (a poetry collection called Sky Magic) as a post to have "in the can."

- Added a couple new posts to my "Some of My Best Posts (You May Disagree)" sidebar and took some off.

- Set up posts for two books that I am currently reading, Without a Backward Glance and Loving Frank. Also jotted down some notes about both of them.

- Completed Bookish Ruth's Mini-Challenge, Grade Your Website. If you haven't done this yet, you should do so. Website Grader is free and oh-so-simple. I scored a 75/100, which sounds about right to me. Certainly room for improvement, yes, but better than I expected.

- Read 175 items today in Google Reader. This might sound OK, but I can't remember the last time my GR was under 1000+. Nor do I ever expect to see a three-digit number anytime soon, quite honestly. I subscribe to 249 blogs which have had a total of 262 items posted just today. This is actually a pretty good ratio for me. (I wasn't going to mention this, but I also unsubscribed from a blog or two. I don't think they are book-related, though.)

- I know it doesn't count, but I spent some time reading with the kids - both aloud and silently, as we snuggled in the guest room before bedtime. (Each night Betty, Boo and I spend about a half hour reading our own books while snuggled in the guest room bed. It is, hands-down, my favorite part of the day.) We also updated the kids' summer reading logs.

Total hours spent la bloggiesta-ing today = almost 6.5.

Oh! Almost forgot! I found out I won a book in Nely's giveaway over at her blog, all about {n} and the prize I won from Cindy from Cindy's Love of Books arrived in the mail! Nely, the book will be going to my mom who has been a caregiver to my 91 year old grandfather for many, many years now. She just moved him into a nursing home yesterday. And Cindy, the notecards are adorable. (The kids were extremely impressed that I got a package from Canada.) Thanks, Nely and Cindy!

All right, off to do a few more Bloggiesta things and then perhaps some reading. Have a migraine starting. I'll blame it on the housecleaning. (Certainly cannot be from the computer time due to work and Bloggiesta.)

Adios!

3 comments:

Cindy said...

I am so happy you got the cards. YEA. Enjoy them and I am glad your kids were happy with the package coming all the way from Canada.

Your doing good in the challenge. Keep going. I got a few things done and I am pleased.

Have a good night.

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

Sounds like you got a lot done! I actually did a bit of reading today too. I actually have to post about it before Sunday or else I'm in trouble! Enjoy your MIL visit!nti

Liyana said...

Congrats on winning the prizes! You got a lot done, I'm pretty envious!