Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Book Review (Kids): Let's Go On a Mommy Date, by Karen Kingsbury

Let's Go on a Mommy Date, by Karen Kingsbury, illustrated by Dan Andreasen

If I had a dime every time a professional of some sort has advised that any and all my parenting woes would be solved with "some one-on-one quality time" with my kids, I'd be rich enough to spend the rest of my life quality-timing 24/7.

For two working-outside-the-home parents, I happen to think The Dean and I do a pretty good job in this department. We spend time with each kid individually. We take them on special outings like baseball games, the beach, and the occasional Storybook Ball. We're members of our local zoo, we go to nearby parks, we U-pick fresh fruit at local farms, we play outside, we're on a first name basis with the folks at the library.

Which is where I picked up this adorable picture book written by bestselling children's author Karen Kingsbury. Let's Go On a Mommy Date is about two kids with grandiose plans for spending the day with their mom. Like Betty and Boo seem to do each weekend, the kids in the book suggest all kinds of activities: the zoo, the park, the circus, the movies, the farm. But then they realize that sometimes the best Mommy date is one where you just ... hang out. Together.

"Hey wait, you're here beside me now, is this our Mommy Date?
Never mind the other places. Here we are. Why wait?
One day we'll go to the park, the circus, farm, and zoo,
but for today let's cuddle with this book, just me and you.
See, time will take you far from here; you're growing way too fast.
All I want is Mommy time to make the moments last.
Something we'll remember so that come some far-off day,
you'll know how much I loved you 'cause we took the time to play."

Let's Go on a Mommy Date is a delightful book that conveys to kids (and parents) that spending time together doesn't have to be elaborate or, in these economic times, cost a fortune. In fact, it's the simplest moments that have the power to be the most special.

And, perhaps, the most remembered.

No comments: