Saturday, June 6, 2009

Summer Reading Club: Week One Recap

Our library's Summer Reading Club program started June 1. We also have a summer reading program going on for school, but that one doesn't start until June 15. Both require tracking of the books read and the amount of time read, a task which falls to me and which I've had to create Excel spreadsheets for each child.

I thought it might be fun (for oh, probably all of 2 readers of this here blog) to do a weekly recap of what we've been reading.

Much as I would love to provide you, dear Betty and Boo Chronicles reader, with reviews and links to each book, I'm guessing it will be impossible for me to do so. I'll list every book we've read, but only review or highlight those which the kids loved or which ones I thought particularly wonderful.

So without further ado, here's what was read in our house during Week One:

The Tiara Club: Princess Katie & the Silver Pony - by Vivian French
The Tiara Club: Princess Charlotte & the Birthday Ball - by Vivian French
The Princess and the Pea - by Hans Christian Anderson
Jimmy's Boa and the Bungee Jump Slam Dunk - by Trinka Hakes Noble
Becky the Borrower - by Udo Weigelt, illus. by Astrid Henn
"I Have a Little Problem…" said the Bear - by Heniz Janisch, illus. by Silke Leffler
Turtle's Penguin Day - by Valeri Gorbachev
The Remarkable Farkle McBride - by John Lithgow

We read some of Sky Magic, a collection of poetry which I loved and plan to review in a separate post, but it didn't hold the same appeal for the kids. They're not much into poetry. Yet.

Betty also decided to start reading Little Women and Anne of Green Gables.

Do you have kids who are participating in a Summer Reading Club program? What books are they reading this summer?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

My kids are doing a summer reading program, too! We've given them an incentive. For every book they read and review (up to 50), we'll give them a quarter. They're also of course doing the library program, the program through our local grocery store, the Barnes & Nobles program, and the Half-Priced Books program. Yikes! Somehow, I have to keep track of that all, haha! I've been keeping their reviews (short, 1-2 paragraphs) on our family blog, Gignacery.