Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Sunday Salon - June 28, 2009

It's been quite the week, hasn't it? I'm still reeling from the events of the past few days, including the loss of Farrah Fawcett and of course, the shocking death of Michael Jackson.

Our family also had a personal loss this week, with the death of my grandfather on Wednesday morning. I'll be with family most of today (I'm scheduling this post in advance) so there won't be much time for Salon reading time until later on Sunday ... if then.

Still, it has been a pretty good reading week. I finished Loving Frank by Nancy Hoban on audio, which I enjoyed. Unfortunately, I knew about the ending (thanks to looking up the spelling of Frank Lloyd Wright's home Taliesin on Wikipedia) so that was a bit of a spoiler. Hopefully I'll finish my review and post it this week.

I also finished Without a Backward Glance by Kate Veitch, which I gave 3 stars out of 5. (You can read my review here.) I liked the premise of the book a lot, but it seemed to fall apart for me at the halfway mark. I continued reading because I was curious about one aspect of the plot, but otherwise this was just OK.

I was in the mood for some poetry on Friday night so I read Grace Paley's Fidelity in its entirety and in one sitting. Fidelity is the last collection of poems she wrote before her death in 2007. Hopefully I'll have a review for this later on this week, too.

In other book news, I was so excited to see Beth Kephart's new book, Nothing But Ghosts arrive in my mailbox. I ordered it via Amazon as part of My Friend Amy's Book Drive, and Amazon wasted no time in getting this to me. As much as I want to read this, I'm trying to save it for a week-long vacation next month ... but it is oh-so-tempting.

We're still going strong with our summer reading. Boo has read 21 books and Betty has read 29. I'm so proud of them!

Have a great week!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Sorry to hear about your grandpa. :(

Frances said...

Loving Frank was a great read. Sorry about that spoiler for you. I really tuned in to the demands placed on a mother aspect of the novel. Rings true even so many years later.

Today I am reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Happy reading!

Meghan said...

It has definitely been a week to remember with sadness. I'm glad you had a lot of good reading time, though. That's always nice.

Debbie said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing. It has been a tough week. My thoughts are with you.

Beth Kephart said...

Thinking of you, dear thing.

ANd thanking you, too.

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

Sorry to learn of your loss, B&B's Mom.

Keep busy reading with those kids of yours (yay for them on their progress!)