Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Sunday Salon: June 6, 2009

How is everyone doing on this Sunday? Much as I'd love to stay in my PJs, reading with a cup of coffee by my side, perhaps taking a nap, today's plans call for slightly more activity. There's the much-needed grocery shopping, even more much-needed cleaning and decluttering of the house, and an end of year BBQ for our Girl Scout troop at our leader's home. Any reading may need to wait until tonight. Sigh.

I'm still reading The Red Convertible by Louise Erdrich and still enjoying it as much as last week. It's a collection of 36 stories; this week I've read eight more, bringing my total to 19. There are several of this week's reads that I know will stay with me, namely "Fuck With Kayla and You Die" and "The Bingo Van."

I finished listening to Wally Lamb's debut novel, She's Come Undone on audio (here's my review). Gave it 5 stars out of 5 and loved everything about it.

This week the kids and I will continue with the Summer Reading Club program and I'm hoping to finish The Red Convertible. I'm not sure what's on tap for my next audiobook because I bought a new car on Saturday! (And it happens to be red, although not a convertible.) My trade-in, a 2002 Dodge Caravan, is slightly more evolved than the Flintstones' car, but lacks amenities like power locks, power windows, and a CD player. The new car has these newfangled bells and whistles (and more). One of the first places I will driving it on Monday will be to the library for some audiobooks on CD! Only being able to listen to audiobooks on cassette tends to limit one's options in that regard, so I'm looking forward to more possibilities. We're only allowed to have 10 audios out at a time, so I'll try to restrain myself.

Some of the goodies I got at the library during a rare visit (without kids) this week:

An Abundance of Katherines - by John Green
Looking for Alaska - by John Green
Delicate Edible Birds and Other Stories - by Lauren Groff
Making It All Work - by David Allen (I love David Allen)
The Life You Longed For - by Maribeth Fischer
The Summer Guest - by Justin Cronin (He was my instructor in a grad school writing class!)
The Dumbest Generation: How The Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future - by Mark Bauerlein.

Happy reading, everyone!

7 comments:

JoAnn said...

I've been on a short story kick lately. It sounds like I should look into The Red Convertible, especially since Louise Erdrich is an author I've been wanting to read.

regularrumination said...

Such a great loot! Though I can't help but hate that last title... so condescending and offensive! As a member of the dumbest generation, I must disagree. Though I'd love to read it, just to disagree with it.

Nicole said...

I read Delicate Edible Birds and I really enjoyed some of her stories. The one about the majorette was one that I particularly enjoyed.

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

JoAnn, definitely check out The Red Convertible. It's a really good collection.

regularrumination, I know what you mean about the last book on my loot list. Through blogging,I've met so many people of "that generation" who write the most amazing, poignant posts. I'm guessing the author hasn't read any of them! (It is possible that this one might be going back unread, because I'll run out of time.)

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

Nicole, thanks for stopping by. Good to know that you liked Delicate Edible Birds!

Amanda said...

Thanks for coming by my first Sunday Salon post. I had to come check out your blog, and I love that someone else out there is doing a summer reading program with their kids! :D

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

Amanda, thanks for coming by! Sometimes I think I get more into the Summer Reading Program than my kids do.

Hope you'll visit again!