Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Beginnings

We are in this place, The Dean and I, that I love. This place that holds so much meaning for our family, both people gone and still here.

There has been a book idea in my mind for awhile - years, actually - but it hasn't quite crystallized. Maybe it never will, or maybe it just needs time to marinate a little more.

So I sit here this morning in the most comfortable writing chair imaginable, following a morning thunderstorm that rocked the house and these few blocks of beach town that time seems to have forgotten, listening to the beep-beep-beep of the trucks that worked through the night on the beach replenishment project a block away.

And a different idea has been born, completely different from what I had thought.

Through my work, I am participating in a program with a local foundation. We're working individually with a career coach, and one of my summer goals is to carve out some time to write. Which I do, through the blog, but she means something else, something bigger than a blog post. (Not like there's anything wrong with a blog post, nor do I have any intents to give up the blog ... oh, no, no, no. Can't get rid of me that fast.)

I have an hour or two before the masses arrive, kids, in-laws, The Dean returning from a morning alone on the beach. And I'm thinking, how does one begin a new story, I wonder? At what point do you start?

Maybe it doesn't have to be this way or thataway, as I wrote on a friend's blog a few moments ago. Maybe there isn't one right, true way.

Maybe it is about starting wherever, whenever, about discovering the journey to come.

4 comments:

Beth Kephart said...

this sounds so promising...

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

How exciting to have made this decision ... now, I agree: there is no "right" way. Just do it!

Lori said...

Sounds interesting! Good luck with the journey!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Thanks so much for the encouraging words, everyone!