Monday, July 27, 2009

Green Bean and Potato Salad

I made this tasty Green Bean and Potato Salad recently for dinner. The Dean and I liked it, and even Betty tried a little, so that makes it a keeper. (Just The Dean's endorsement alone makes it worthy.)

This would be a delicious salad to bring to a barbeque, picnic, or other outdoor get-together. It doesn't have mayo, so there wouldn't be the typical concerns associated with a traditional potato salad sitting outside in warm weather. It can be made ahead and I'd imagine it would travel well, too. My only question is whether this would really serve 10; I'm not convinced it would. If you're serving this to a crowd, you might want to double it.

I found this on Allrecipes.com, which is also where I borrowed the photo from.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds red potatoes
3/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and
snapped
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (I omitted this)
1 small red onion, chopped (I used a small Vidalia)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 dash Worcestershire sauce (I omitted this)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
1.Place the potatoes in a large pot, and fill with about 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Throw in the green beans to steam after the first 10 minutes. Drain, cool, and cut potatoes into quarters. Transfer to a large bowl, and toss with fresh basil, red onion, salt and pepper. Set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, mustard, lemon juice, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and olive oil. Pour over the salad, and stir to coat. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.

Nutrition Information
Servings Per Recipe: 10 Calories: 176
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 11.3g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 121mg
Amount Per Serving
Total Carbs: 17.4g
Dietary Fiber: 2.4g
Protein: 1.9g

3 comments:

I'm just me... said...

This sounds great, I'm going to have to try this.

Staci said...

Sounds yummy! I'll definitely have to try it!

Lori said...

I love potatoes so this one sounds really good to me! Thanks for posting it!