Sunday, July 19, 2009

Karma, Karma, Karma, Karma, Karma Chameleon


"Yo, Sid ... hand me that microphone. Got a little number I'd like to do for you folks tonight. Ready? A one, two, three, and! Karma, karma, karma, karma, karma cham-meeeeeeal- leeeee-un! You come and go! You come and go-oooooooo! Lovin' would be easy if your colors were like my dreeeeeeeeam, red, gold and green! Red, gold, and greeeeeeeeeeen! Sing it with me, folks, I know you know the words!"

I took this photo today at the Zoo, and this was the first thing that immediately popped into my time-warped child-of-the-80s mind. I mean, seriously, doesn't this dude look like all he needs is a microphone and he could burst into tune?

Even funnier was the reaction of Boo when he came over to the laptop as I was posting punch-drunk-like captions (this one included) on my Facebook page to the accompanying 54 photos. (I know, I know ...)

"Karma, karma, karma ...." he started to read, and I broke into song.
The kids lost it, laughing uncontrollably. "Did you just make that up?" asked Boo. "That is the silliest song!"

"Um, well, yeah, you see, it's kind of a real song," I said, hoping Boo was not going to ask me who the singer was and if we could look him up on Wikipedia, as Boo is fond of doing. "It was pretty popular when Daddy and I were little."

"Nuh-uh!"

"Yeah-huh."

"A real song? What's it called?"

"Karma Chameleon."

"Sing it again, Mommy!"

"Thank you! You've been a great audience! I'll be here at the Lizard Lounge all week!"

6 comments:

DemMom said...

As you may or may not know, I dressed up as Boy George in the 4th grade. HUGE.FAN. And I taught that song to the Bug a couple years ago!

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

I do believe you did tell me that, back in the day when we worked together. And speaking of such, was that during your era at our mutual place of employment when some clients were going to see Boy George DJ at a club?

Lori said...

I needed that little chuckle! Love that pic!

I've had that happen with the kids too. I'll sing a little something and they'll ask me if I made it up. Oh no sweetie, those are words to a song that we ROCKED to! I get the look usually.

Mel @ A Box of Chocolates said...

Guess what I will be singing all day?? Thanks a lot :-)

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

Lori - en route to the Zoo, while listening to Radio Disney, some singer came on with a version of "Can't Touch This." The kids were stunned when I told them that this was a song from back in the day.

Mel - You and me both! I think I woke up with the tune of "Karma Chameleon" in my head, and it hasn't left. (Could be contributing to my migraine today ... :)

demmom said...

That's right! You and I were trying to come up with a plan where we would take the residents to see DJ Boy George! Totally forgot about that!