Friday, July 24, 2009

Keeping Up with the Jonases

Twitter informed me that my afternoon commute home would likely be a traffic nightmare - and Twitter was, as always, correct.

(For any newcomers to this blog who may have BlogHopped here, I have a hellacious commute to and from work. It's usually about 1 hour, 40 minutes. Yes, that is each way. Yes, I know it is ridiculously insane. Don't ask.)

Several occurances were converging on my city to make this slog worse than it usually is - as if that is possible on a Friday evening. Apparently Toby Keith is performing at some venue nearby. The alternative music station is throwing a shin-dig. There's a Phillies game. We're within a few hours of two separate beach locales, and on Fridays, it seems that every car on the road is heading for the shore. (Or the beach. Yes, one is known as the shore, the other is known as the beach. Don't ask.)

And to top it all off, there were the Jonas Brothers, also performing downtown for the second night in a row.

Sitting in 20 miles of bumper-to-bumper traffic (I wish I was kidding ... the backup really was 20 miles), I followed this car most of the way.


I caught a glimpse of the parental-type units that were chauffering the teenyboppers to the Jonas Brothers' concert, and I really wanted to take a photo of them because their expressions were priceless. Yet, something about their wearisome faces told me they might not have taken too kindly to a stranger snapping their photo, in 20 miles of standstill traffic, with their car a mobile shrine to the Jonas boys.

5 comments:

JanMary said...

Hope they made it to the concert - can you imagine the distraught kiddies the parents would have to deal with then!


What a nightmare commute :(

Do you have to leave really early in the morning?

Niksmom said...

Oh, dear heaven, thank you for the reminder about why we live BELOW the canal! LOL

JanMary's comment reminds me of my first ever concert as a teen: Ted Nugent w/Eddie Money opening. I went b/c I loved E.M. (HATE Ted Nugent) There was a Phillies game, etc, etc...we completely missed Eddie Money and I had to suffer through Nugent. AWFUL!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

JanMary - I generally leave around 6:30 a.m., and I'm VERY lucky to have a boss who allows me to have a flexible schedule with slightly-altered hours so I can beat the traffic (particularly in the afternoons). I also can usually work one day a week from home, which is nice.

Niksmom - you're so right about that. There are days when I literally breathe a sigh of relief as soon as I get on Rt. 1 and over the bridge - it's all smooth sailing after that!

Lori said...

I'm so thankful my daughter isn't into them. I'm thinking that would have been me in my black suburban. The things we do for our babies!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Lori ~ Betty is, unfortunately, into them ... but thankfully we managed to keep from her the knowledge that they were performing an hour away. :)