Monday, July 20, 2009

Life Begins at 51

I don't know what was so magical to me about the notion of having 50 subscribers to my blog, but for whatever reason, 50 subscribers became some sort of personal benchmark for me.

I can't explain it. The Big 5-0 just seemed to hold some sort of cachet for me. I know, it makes no sense. And for months (OK, ever since December, when I signed onto Feedburner), I watched and watched as the subscribers inched ever so slowly, tortoise-like, towards that magical number.

(About these photos I'm showing off here. At the tippy top is the Philadelphia Zooballoon, taking off for a flight. We weren't on this. I stayed on the ground, snapping the photo. And the creature above is a Galapagos Tortoise, also found at the Philadelphia Zoo. Yep, a real tortoise, as in "The Tortoise and The Hare." This dude can live for 200 years. I wonder if there will be blogs 200 years from now? Speaking of which, it's taking 200 years to bang out this post.....)


Some people watch and obsess over the stock market. (Or used to.) I watch and obsess over my blog stats.

Now, I know Feedburner can be more tempermental than a toddler, and I know that I really may not have 50 subscribers.

I don't care. What I know is that when I checked Feedburner this evening, there it was ... 51 subscribers.

I'm guessing - although I've been known to have been surprised at a thing or two in my life - that I will likely never become the sort of blogger who gets 13,000 comments on a single post. (Truly, there are people who actually do.) And that's OK with me. Because for tonight, I am content with my 51 subscribers. More than content. To quote Sally Field, you like me. You really like me.

I'm very grateful and humbled that there are 51 0f you (give or take a few :) who actually care enough to read my ramblings of the day. It means so much more than you will ever know, and I thank you and appreciative you all so very much.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hi Melissa,
CONGRATS! Guess what? I'm gonna be #51!
I am sorry about your Dad. How right you are, you should never have to bury your parents at such a young age. I worked in hospice care for 5 yrs as the children's grief and loss program director and supported and counseled children facing the loss of their parents. It's heartbreaking.
Thanks for the feedback on my post. It was rough but I am forcing myself to get moving.
xo

Lori said...

Well congrats to you on your 51!! I'd be happy to have 10 followers. I'm stuck at 8 and would love to have more. I guess I'm just not out there enough.

Mel @ A Box of Chocolates said...

Congratulations! I'm a stat watcher too.

Florinda said...

Congrats on reaching #50 (or #51, or whatever it is), from one of your early subscribers :-). I suspect BBAW will do very nice things for your numbers!

I still watch my stats a bit more than I should, I think.