Thursday, July 30, 2009

Stop, In the Name of ...Huh?

You may have some questions about the photo that adorns the masthead (is it called a masthead?) of this here blog.

And you wouldn't be alone.

This is probably my favorite photo from our vacation. I took this on Monday evening, as The Dean and I took a walk along the bay. There, with the downtown of Undisclosed Location in the background (as much of a downtown as a place 1.5 miles long can have) and facing the bay, was this recliner.

There's a story here, make no bones about it (and it will likely make an appearance in one that I am writing). I would love to know whose chair this was and who put it there. You can't see the bay in this photo, but trust me when I say that it is mere feet from the stop sign.

I love this photo for all that it says. To me, it says, stop what you're doing. Stop and look at this glorious sunset (for that is what we were doing when we came across this). Stop and expect the unexpected.

What does it say to you?

8 comments:

ang_gershman said...

I love that photo too! It would make a great poster!

Lori said...

LOL Well my first thought was considering the location and the state that I think you vacationed in, I'm thinking there is a "family" member swimming with the fishes and that's his chair.

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Ang - you're right, it would make a great photo.

Lori - LOL!!!! The Dean and I are diehard (pun totally intended) Sopranos fans, and that never occurred to us. Absolutely, my money is on your theory.

Niksmom said...

"Stop sitting on the sidelines." "Stop taking the easy (chair) way out." Conversely, "Stop! Take it easy!"

Alipet813 said...

i agree with Ang this would make a great poster. In fact, I thought it was a professional photo. LOL
I think it says STOP...and put your feet up...Did you bring a book?

amareluna said...

I really like this picture, but my reaction to it is a bit different from everyone else's. To me, the image could go two ways:

First, an ecological message. Stop leaving your junk behind, spoiling the beautiful places.

Second, a more 'profound' meaning. Something along the lines of 'stop and free yourself of your baggage. Leave behind your preconceptions, your aged beliefs, those relics of the past that hold you back'. I think it comes from the style of the chair, one that reminds me of my grandparent's house.

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

amareluna - I like that! Hmm ... that is a different take on it, but I do like it.

alipet - had to LOL at any of my photos being mistaken for professional ... :) Thank you!

niksmom - also another good theory!

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I am really late in commenting on this post, but I wasn't following this blog back when you wrote it.

The header caught my eye immediately. I also thought "there must be a story there."

It reminded me of the yards of some of my clients...you know, with the furniture on the front porch or the lawn.

These objects speak loudly of the untold stories.

I am writing this on Dec. 31, 2009, as I contemplate the New Year.

Happy New Year!