Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Sunday Salon - July 5, 2009

Most of The Sunday Salon reading that I did for today happened in the wee small hours of this morning. At 12:30 a.m., you would have found me in the family room, reading Andrew Sean Greer's masterpiece, The Story of a Marriage.

And oh my, what a novel that was! I'll save my thoughts for the full review, but suffice it to say that I absolutely loved everything about this book. I'll be giving it 5 stars out of 5.

So now it's onto my next read. That's going to be Parenting Your Asperger Child, and probably getting caught up on my magazines or read a poetry collection or two when the kids are around. (I usually don't read special needs-related books with the kids present.) Parenting ... is a book I've taken out of the library several times and returned unread (lack of time) but I think it might be one I need to read.

As for the audiobooks, I started Jill Price's memoir, The Woman Who Couldn't Forget this week. It's an interesting read, but a little dry for audio - plus, I'm finding that I want to jot down a few notes, which doesn't always work very well when you're driving 65 mph. So I'll be returning that one and looking for the print version at some point.

Tomato Girl by Jayne Pupek (another frequent mention on the blogs) was my next audio - and I turned that off before the first CD was over. Why, you ask? Well, there are some stories that are just so well written, where the language is so exquisite that you need to savor it through reading.

Tomato Girl is that kind of book. I can already tell I am going to love this one, too, and I put a request into the library for it.

I had planned on doing a "first half of the year" recap for this week's Sunday Salon, but didn't get that together in time. As of today, I've read 22 books this year. That's paltry compared to many others, but I don't always read that quickly. Last year I only read 28 books (a record for me!) so I'm well on track to surpassing that. I have to be careful, though, to not turn something I love (reading) into a contest. I have to remember that this is should be fun and relaxing, not a competition.

Still, it would be very cool to be able to say I read 50 books this year ....

3 comments:

Eva said...

Congrats on such a high number compared to last year! Book blogging makes me read more too. :)

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

Thanks, Eva. It is true ... book blogging does make one read more! (Funny how that happens.)

Lori said...

I was aiming for a book a week but lately life keeps getting in the way of that goal! Good luck on getting to 50 too!