Saturday, July 25, 2009

Wake Up Call

"Mommy! Mommy, mommy, you have GOT to wake up right now!"

Ohmuhgawd, what now, I thought, barely conscious. Exactly how I wanted to be woken up at 5:52 a.m. On a Saturday morning. With nothing planned.

I must have neglected to tell Betty that it had been kind of a late night, BlogHoppin' partying mom that I am. Don't tell anyone ... I snuck into the bedroom after 1 p.m., well past my bedtime. I overindulged a little last night, visiting way too many blogs, overloading Google Reader (at what point does that thing implode?) and making too many new friends.

"You have to see this!!! Right now!!!"

"Whassa matter, honey?" I said, lazily, realizing that a) if the other child wasn't screaming or b)the security alarm wasn't blaring or c) the smoke detectors weren't beeping, then things were probably somewhat under control. "What's wrong?" I said, yawning.

"Look what's going on!" she exclaimed, pulling me into the hallway.
And there it was ...

The photo doesn't do justice to the sunrise streaming through our family room windows at dawn, stretching its rays, wing-like, across the horizon. (Speaking of the photo, it was Betty's idea to take the photo ... and this was, indeed, taken by her.)

It was one of those moments, when you realize that you might be doing something a little right in this parenting gig. In your teachings that it is the simple things - the sunrise, for example - that are worth paying attention to, worth waking up for.

5 comments:

Niksmom said...

Now *that* is beautiful. All of it. And, yes, you are doing a thing or two right, I suspect. ;-)

Lori said...

That's why I like sunsets better, they are in the evening. But I have to admit that's one beautiful reason to get out of bed, to enjoy that moment with your little girl.

The Biblio Brat said...

Oh man. [sniffle sniffle].

You (and Betty, bless her heart]got me.

I am heading outside for a walk now. Hopefully I will get to the top of the hill before the sun sets.

Thanks for the best wake up call ever

JennyMac said...

Awww..that is a great story. And I love that she realizes the beauty of something so real (and not man made.) Good girl!

Mel @ A Box of Chocolates said...

Isn't it great to get the affirmation that you are a good parent?! I'm glad you all got to enjoy the beautiful sunrise together.