Friday, August 21, 2009

Happiness, Doubled by Wonder

I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought;
and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.

Being new to Book Blogger Appreciation Week, I wasn't quite sure what to expect with the nomination process for awards. Like hundreds of others, I registered my blog, submitted my nominations, and watched to see what would unfold.

The other evening I opened my email to find one from My Friend Amy, sharing the news that I was nominated for Best New Blog.

I woke up The Dean (who responded by mumbling something incoherent about winning the lottery and early retirement) and got to work culling through 419 posts to find five that would fit the category of Best New Blog.

And then I wasn't quite sure what to do next. (Well, OK, I did update my Facebook status. As the clock strikes midnight, usually the only people who want to hear from you at that hour are on Facebook or Twitter.)

Was it considered proper to announce that one had received a nomination? Or in bad taste? Was this like the Academy Awards (personally, it is a bigger deal to me) whereby the nominees are announced weeks in advance? Are there BBAW parties on awards night? If someone was also nominated in the same category and was a reader of said blog, how would that blogger feel? And vice versa?

I decided to follow other bloggers' leads and in doing so, I've been noticing over the past few days that people have been announcing their nominations. (And they're all great blogs, and all so well-deserved.) So, I'm following suit.

I've been nominated in two categories - the aforementioned Best New Blog and Best Writing. It sounds like a cliche, but I am speechless and truly honored to be even considered. Thank you to those who thought of me for these awards. I work hard on my blog, and am very appreciative to you for reading and for commenting.

As I wrote in my blogiversary post last week, I knew I would like this blogging thing of ours. I just had no idea how much I'd fall in love with it. How much it would sustain me.

So thank you, so very much. Regardless of what happens from here, I am filled with happiness, doubled by wonder.

8 comments:

Robin said...

***standing ovation***

Bravo, bravo! You are outstanding.

IMOK said...

Congratulations! The recognition is well deserved. While I may be a new reader here I've enjoyed your ability to write well for years. It is wonderful that you enjoy this because as long as you're having fun, your readers and friends will have your blog to look forward to!

So I guess the question on the cyber red carpet is not "Who are you wearing?". It's "Who are you reading?"

(Be proud, and if the Dean wins the lottery think of all the extra time that will buy you to read and write some more.)

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Thank you, Robin. Your blog was one of the very first I read, so I owe much of this to you. Truly.

And IMOK (love your moniker, BTW), thanks so much! Be sure to save those old letters of mine ... they might be your lottery ticket someday. (Or not. :)

Florinda said...

Congratulations on your nominations, and best of luck in the next round!

I wasn't sure about announcing my nominations either, since they may not make it to the next phase, but like you, I followed others' lead. It's just so exciting :-)!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Congratulations on these well-deserved nominations!

Priya said...

Congratulations! You deserve those nominations. :)

Cathy said...

Congratulations on these well-deserved nominations!!

kristenspina said...

Congratulations! Well-deserved...on all counts.