Monday, August 3, 2009

I'm Too Sexy for My Clunker


(photo taken by me, of a centerpiece from an event I attended for work)

Oh, I can only imagine the search terms and hits that will bring the masses here with a subject line like "I'm Too Sexy for My Clunker" but I'll take my chances. I'm in the mood to live dangerously in the midst of my punchy exhaustion tonight, and after all, that is why they invented comment moderation, y'know?

Today's afternoon commute was one of those times I was kicking myself for not having my camera with me, which I usually do. (Have my camera with me and kick myself, that is.) I typically don't make much of a habit of taking photos while I'm driving 65 miles an hour, but truth be told, a good part of my commute is spent in standstill traffic - and taking photos can be an amusing way to pass the time. (And no, my cell phone doesn't have a camera. I have the very same cell phone that Fred Flintstone used.)

So, I'm camera-less and listening to a news report about Cash for Clunkers, marvelling that once again, The Dean and I have been struck with truly impeccable timing. You'll recall we just bought two new cars, one in May and another in June. Now, this was a matter of necessity, not luxury, so had we had the possibility of getting cash for our clunkers, we wouldn't have been able to take advantage of such, given the fact that we needed reliable modes of transportation to get to our jobs and waiting a month or two would not have been an option.

So I'm listening to this Cash for Clunker report while stopped at an interminable light when a tow truck pulls up on my left. I look over, and the car being towed would possibly qualify as a clunker in my book. (Hell, it was being towed, so my money was on the fact that this wasn't just driven off the dealer's lot yesterday.) The tow truck pulls ahead of me, and it is then that I notice the license plate:

ME-SEXY

(See why I was kicking myself for not having my camera? Only a photo could do this post justice. I'm not that good of a writer.)

It was just hilarious, this ME-SEXY clunker-ish car being towed while I was listening to some reporter yammering about Cash for Clunkers.

I mean, seriously, if you're going to drive a car with the license plate of ME-SEXY, then for goodness sakes make it a Porsche or something with a little more va-va-va-voom than the jalopy I saw.

On the other hand, I guess it does prove the old adage that beauty is truly indeed in the eye of the beholder. (Or that you can't judge a clunker by its cover.)

No comments: